MagicBand+ will be launching at Walt Disney World on July 27, 2022. This is the newest generation of MagicBand, which originally launched in 2013. MagicBand+ will allow guests to interact with Disney stories in a completely new and wearable way.
MagicBand+ will still do everything that the previous version of MagicBand did, i.e. open a guest’s hotel room door, use for entering Disney Parks, PhotoPass, pay for food and merchandise, and more. However, it will also open up new interactive experiences at Walt Disney World.
When guests enter a Walt Disney World park, their MagicBand+ will come alive at various times. This will happen with color-changing lights, haptic vibrations, and gesture recognition. This will be interactive with the environment the person is in and enhances the storytelling of the moment. It will also allow guests to interact with some favorite Disney moments and places in the parks and see new experiences. Disney shared that these will include:
- Guests can embark on the “Disney Fab 50 Quest,” a scavenger hunt throughout the four Walt Disney World theme parks using MagicBand+ to help spread pixie dust and interact with the golden character sculptures. With the Play Disney Parks app, guests can dive deeper into the experience to find hints and keep track of sculptures which will unlock digital achievements, including an augmented reality feature.
- In the “Star Wars: Batuu Bounty Hunters” experience, guests can join the Batuu Bounty Hunters’ Guild in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Using their MagicBand+ to find numerous virtual bounties hidden throughout Black Spire Outpost, guests will follow the band’s light patterns and haptics to complete their mission. Then they will return to the local guild master, who will reward them with galactic credits. Guests can also use the Play Disney Parks mobile app to help them reveal their virtual bounty using the app’s built-in augmented reality thermal viewer**.
- Guests can experience nighttime spectaculars in a new way as they see their bands light up and complement the magic in the skies, including “Harmonious” at EPCOT and “Disney Enchantment” at Magic Kingdom Park. MagicBand+ will also engage as all four theme park icons transform into Beacons of Magic!
To utilize the magical offerings with the MagicBand+, guests will need to be logged into the Play Disney Parks app with the Disney account linked with their MagicBand+. MagicBand+ will go on sale at Walt Disney World on July 27, 2022. They start at $34.99 and can be found at the following stores:
- Magic Kingdom Park: Emporium
- EPCOT: Pin Traders – Camera Center
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios: Celebrity 5 & 10 and Tatooine Traders
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park: Discovery Trading Company
- Disney Springs: Disney’s Pin Traders
- Select merchandise locations at Disney Resort hotels
The Disneyland Resort will be receiving MagicBand+ later this year. The features and offerings for the Disneyland Resort version will be different than that of Walt Disney World Resort.
What do you think of the arrival of MagicBand+ at Walt Disney World Resort? Are you excited to give them a try? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below!