The scenery in Disney California Adventure has changed quite a bit over the last few years. The most recent change has come between Hollywood Backlots and Bugs Land where a new view has appeared on the horizon. The Collector’s Fortress now dominates the skyline, bringing the story of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy to the Disneyland Resort. From this point forward, there will be spoilers about what happens on Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! so if you don’t want to know more, you have been warned!
Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! Experience
The experience begins as guests enter The Fortress of the Collector. Inside, a gallery can be seen with many of his various acquisitions. Proceeding through the queue there are references to the Marvel universe everywhere. Finally it is time to enter The Collector’s office. This is where things get really interesting. Inside The Collectors office there are more artifacts everywhere. The entire building is filled with things to find and look at it. Once in The Collector’s office guests are informed that he is unable to meet personally. However, a video soon appears…as does Rocket Raccoon. Rocket hijacks the message and things just get more interesting from there. Rocket explains what is really going to be happening moving forward over what The Collector said.
Once the message is done, it’s time to move into the second half of the queue. After leaving The Collector’s office it is time to snake through the bowels of The Fortress eventually arriving at the real exciting part of the attraction. There are a LOT of Disney references also to be found in The Fortress, and a certain Stan Lee also makes a cameo.
Loading onto the attraction is very much like loading into the former attraction. A Cast Member gives guests instructions and prepares them for what is to come… and then makes an addendum. Apparently a certain Trash Panda might have some plans of his own. The doors close, everything goes dark, and when the lights return the silhouette of Rocket Raccoon appearing to hold two cords that he is about to connect appears. Within seconds Rocket has connected the cords and things really get going.
The attraction itself is hardly recognizable from its former incarnation. The mission is to breakout the Guardians of the Galaxy with Rocket Raccoon. The attraction goes up and down a whole lot more and has six different of songs that accompany it. This creates unique repeatable experiences for guests as they go on it multiple times. The experience includes several different elements that not only include movement, but projections, lights, and of course a recognition of where The Fortress has landed. After a few exciting minutes of up and down fighting for the freedom of the Guardians (with some fun recognizable moments as well), the Guardians thank riders for the help and it is time to return to the normal world.
Thoughts on Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
First off, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! is an incredibly immersive attraction. Going into the attraction I really didn’t have any expectations. I enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy as much as the next guy but I really had to wonder if it would fit into a Disney attraction in a way that felt Disney. This attraction did for Marvel what Star Tours did for Star Wars in Disney Theme Parks. It brings the Marvel universe to life in an immersive way that takes you out of real life and puts you straight into the story. The effects were incredible and even the recognition of where The Fortress rests inside the Disneyland Resort made sense and was incredibly funny.
Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! is an attraction that I’m looking forward to going on again and again. The queue is fantastic. The ride itself is thrilling. The characters are hilarious. The plot makes sense. And then there is the music, it is just as “awesome” as one would hope for from something coming out of the Marvel Universe and Guardians of the Galaxy. It will have a long line for some time to come and it WILL be totally worth it! Stop by this new incredible attraction at Disney California Adventure in the Disneyland Resort as soon as you can! You won’t regret it!
Fun Facts From Disney About Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
Cosmically Cool Facts About The Collector’s Fortress
- The Collector (aka Taneleer Tivan) has brought a Fortress filled with his priceless collection of rare artifacts from throughout the galaxy to Disney California Adventure. True to his eccentric and mysterious personality, he chose a location that will be visited by many to display his most prized possessions, the Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Displayed prominently in gold on the front of the Fortress is the logo for The Tivan Group, The Collector’s company. The logo is triangular in shape with a downward arrow representing The Collector’s mining colony on Knowhere, the realm located at the edge of the universe. Miners extract precious spinal fluid to sell on the galactic black market, generating funds for The Collector’s next acquisitions.
- Cast members wear the Tivan logo on the sleeves of their galactic garb, created in bold tones of purple and gold, in line with The Collector.
- Some characters and creatures that guests may know from the new film, “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” also appear in the new attraction, including Mantis and the Abilisk.
- In the Fortress Lobby, a video welcome from The Collector Introduces guests to his assistant, Apheta. A Krylorian, Apheta is new to the world of Guardians of the Galaxy, making her first appearance in the Fortress. Like all Krylorians, Apheta is pink.
- Guests who look carefully may spot some items in the Tivan Collection that are familiar in Disney Parks. For example, the video shown in the Lobby features The Collector’s desk, and on that desk is a maquette of the ghost dog from the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland Park.
Numbers Out of Knowhere
Guests may discover these details and more on opening day, May 27, 2017.
- 183 Terran (Earth) feet marks the height of The Collector’s Fortress, which holds Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! The tallest attraction in the Disneyland Resort, it also extends 40 feet underground.
- 525 new shrubs, including 25 varieties, grow outside the Fortress as part of Tivan’s Oasis (aka the “Gardens of the Galaxy”).
- 30 trees, representing 13 varieties, grow in Tivan’s Oasis, including Queensland Bottle, African Tulip and Song of India trees.
- 25 potted plants, representing 20 varieties, also grow in Tivan’s Oasis. On display are numerous examples of rare and unusual plants such as Cyphostema juttae (also known as Namibian grape), Dioscorea elephantipes (Elephant’s Foot), and Tylycodon reticulatus (Sifkop or Sieve Head).
- 14 overhead vitrines hang in the Lobby, containing both familiar and mysterious artifacts.
- 2 large portraits of The Collector remind guests of his importance. One of these depicts The Collector playing a game with his brother, The Grandmaster, on The Grandmaster’s home planet of Sakaar.
- 2 languages are used throughout one’s visit to the Tivan Collection: English and Celestial, which is native to the realm of Knowhere.
- 1 special cameo features Stan Lee, well-known writer of Super Hero comic books and a forthcoming Disney Legend, somewhere in the tour of the Tivan Collection.
Browse Among 2,200 Galactic Artifacts
Inside the Fortress, a collection of more than 2,200 rare artifacts from around the galaxy contain plant life, creatures, weapons, costumes and other items of unique interest. Guests might be familiar with many of these items through their knowledge of Super Hero films and comic books. The Collector may choose to change out these artifacts at any time as new items come into his possession. On opening day, the Tivan Collection will include:
- Cocoon of unknown origin: The Collector does not wish to disturb the creature inside the cocoon, therefore he leaves it in place in hopes it will one day emerge and reveal itself for all to see.
- Cosmo, a test dog in the Russian space program of the 1960s (Terran date).
- A damaged Ultron Sentry from the Battle of Sokovia
- Warlock’s Eye, a powerful weapon that allows those who control it to wield an almost hypnotic mind control over its victims
- A Blaster weapon taken from the Guardians of the Galaxy’s “pet rodent,” Rocket
- A case of Dark Elf artifacts
- A case of Kree artifacts including Terrigen Crystals
- A Nova Corps uniform
- A Royal Guard’s Uniform from Asgard
Listen Up for Fun Details
- The Collector gathers sounds as well as artifacts, so guests will want to listen carefully for some auditory “Easter eggs,” especially in the outside garden. Examples include:
- Famous speeches, such as a 1903 recitation of the Gettysburg Address
- Bird calls and other creature sounds from planets throughout the galaxy
- Musical instrument sounds from a wide variety of civilizations
- Guests on board the gantry lift will experience one of six songs that play throughout their experience. The Disney Imagineering team experimented with more than 100 songs inspired by the films’ soundtracks, testing many of them on board the vehicle before settling on the final six for opening day:
- “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar (1980)
- “Give Up the Funk” by Parliament (1975)
- “Born To Be Wild” by Steppenwolf (1968)
- “I Want You Back” by The Jackson 5 (1969)
- “Free Ride” by The Edgar Winter Group (1973)
- “Burning Love” by Elvis Presley (1972)
- Music playing throughout the Lobby and Tivan’s office may sound familiar. It was composed by Tyler Bates, composer of the music for the two “Guardians of the Galaxy” films.
- Employees of the Tivan Collection (those wearing the Tivan logo on their sleeves) know they are always under the watchful eye of their employer, The Collector. They also are aware of what Rocket is up to, however, and they support his efforts by murmuring secret words of encouragement to guests they meet.
- Guests of the Tivan Collection should pay close attention with their ears as they exit the attraction, too. In addition to hearing songs from the films’ soundtracks, they might hear some of the creatures that have escaped from their vitrines, including a certain duck which might be known to the Guardians of the Galaxy.
Are you excited to go on this attraction? Have you been on it already? What did you think of it? Let us know in the comments below!
Daps Magic received a sample product or experience for this review in exchange for an honest review. The views of the reviewer are wholly their own. Read full disclosure policy here.