The Disney Cruise Line today announced that guests will begin visiting Lighthouse Point in the summer of 2024. This new destination will combine the natural beauty and Bahamian hospitality, storytelling, and artists to make an incredibly magical experience for its guests.
“At Disney Cruise Line, we have a deep appreciation for the Bahamian community,” said Sharon Siskie, senior vice president and general manager, Disney Cruise Line. “We are connected in many ways, including our shared values of storytelling and hospitality. With the opening of Lighthouse Point, visitors from around the world will experience the magic of The Bahamas in a new way, one that truly celebrates its natural and cultural beauty.”
New details have also been revealed about this new destination for the Disney Cruise Line that was initially announced at the 2019 D23 Expo.
A Unique and Sustainable Design
Guests who visit Lighthouse Point will be welcomed by some pretty incredible architecture. They will see buildings that have sweeping architecture that will have colors inspired by nature that are both bright and saturated. The look was created in partnership with local artists.
The buildings will be incredibly magical as they will be curvilinear. They will look much like Bahamian shells that are scattered on the shoreline. As guests explore the destination they will find artistic expressions everything. This will creations that celebrate the native flora and fauna of The Bahamas and also the pageantry and history of Junkanoo parades. There will be plenty of references to the playful folklore characters that evoke both the warmth and also the charm of the local culture.
Disney is going to great lengths to show respect for the environment with their design. over 90 percent of the destination’s electricity needs will come from a solar array that will be onsite. The pier was designed to avoid the need for dredging. Elevated walkways will also help mitigate environmental impact on the landscape.
“Lighthouse Point is a place of extraordinary natural beauty, so our goal has always been to create designs that accentuate its qualities in an organic way,” said Kevin Thomas, creative director, Walt Disney Imagineering. “We’re focused on low-density, sustainable development that protects and preserves the environment, allowing the site’s biodiversity to shine.”
Something Fun For Everyone
When guests visit Lighthouse Point, there will be something fun for everyone. There will be opportunities to enjoy the beautiful beaches, go on active adventures nearby and also discover the incredible Bahamian storytelling with favorite Disney characters. Continuing on the legacy of Disney’s cruise ships and the Castaway Cary island, Lighthouse point will offer a plethora of activities for all ages.
- Families can relax and play along white sandy beaches and turquoise waters at the expansive family beachon the east side of the island, which will be centrally located near market-style dining, recreation and other amenities.
- A Bahamian art and culture pavilion featuring special programs and local artists will provide visitors to Lighthouse Point opportunities to learn and celebrate the traditions and natural beauty of The Bahamas.
- A brightly-colored, interactive family water play area will include two slides, water drums, fountains and more, along with a dedicated space for toddlers.
- Additional recreational activities will be available for kids and kids-at-heart, including a covered gaming pavilion; a volleyball court and gaga ball pit; watercraft and bicycle rentals; nature trails for hiking and biking; and more.
- North of the family area will be an adult-exclusive beach — a glorious stretch of sun-drenched serenity complete with a dedicated dining area for convenient access to food and drinks throughout the day, plus six private cabanas available by reservation.
- Children ages 3 to 12 will splash and play at a themed kids’ club under the care of highly-trained Disney Cruise Line counselors. It will include a splash pad inspired by favorite undersea creatures from Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “The Little Mermaid,” plenty of shade and a dedicated dining area.
- Set away from the activity of the main family area, a peaceful beach along the south-western shore will be lined with 20 premium family cabanas available to rent, including four double cabanas that accommodate larger groups and offer massage services.
- Visitors to Lighthouse Point will have the opportunity to be surrounded by the wonders of nature and get a glimpse into the efforts taking place to conserve wildlife and their unique island habitats.
- A collection of new Port Adventures developed in partnership with local tour operators will take guests beyond Lighthouse Point to explore the rich culture and breathtaking beauty of Eleuthera.
Great care is being spent to design an experience at Lighthouse Point that will be hassle-free for families. This will include complimentary beach essentials (towels, chairs and umbrellas and lunch) and also tram transportation as well.
At this point, a specific date for the opening has not been released. What is known is that the Disney Cruise Line will begin to sail to Lighthouse Point and guests will get to visit it on select sailings in the summer of 2024. There will be more details released at a later date that will include entertainment, dining, retail, and also excursions.
To learn more about the Disney Cruise Line, visit DisneyCruise.com or talk with Mouseways Travel, the official travel partner of Daps Magic!
What do you think about the new details that were released today about Lighthouse Point? Are you excited to visit this new Bahamian destination? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below!