This week during the Disney Investor Day, Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures revealed what it has in production that will be released in the next couple of years. So say there are a lot of things coming would be an understatement. It should be noted that a lot of these titles will end up on Disney+. Take into consideration that most titles will end up on Disney+ after they are released in theaters and the numbers go up. During the event, Bob Chapek noted that future releases between Disney+ or theatrical releases will be driven by data. Each release will offer a data point from which Disney can make future decisions. Currently, a big driver in the decision-making process though is COVID-19.
Here is a look at some of the movies coming to Disney+:
- Hocus Pocus 2– The sequel to the 19934 Halloween classic is official and it will be directed by Adam Shankman.
- Three Men and a Baby (Reboot) – This reboot will star Zac Efron.
- Cheaper by the Dozen (Reboot) – This reboot will offer a different take on its predecessors and will include a mixed family. It will star Kenya Barris and Gabrielle Union.
- Sister Act 3– Another Sister Act film is on the way. This one will again see Disney Legend Whoopi Goldberg in the starring role. Tyler Perry is also on board this project as a producer.
- Pinocchio – Thie live-action retelling of the Disney animated classic will star Tom Hanks and be directed by Robert Zemeckis.
- Chip ‘N Dale: Rescue Rangers – This is a movie version of the Disney Afternoon television show of the same name. However, it will be a hybrid live action-animated film and star John Mulaney and Andy Samberg.
- Peter Pan & Wendy – This live-action remake of Peter Pan will star Jude Law as Captain Hook and Yara Shahidi as Tinker Bell.
- Disenchanted – This is the sequel Enchanted. Amy Adams will be returning to film as Giselle.
There were also some live-action biographical projects that were revealed during the course of the presentation. They include:
- Greek Freak – This film is about NBA star Giannis Antetokounmpo.
- Keanon Lowe Project
- Chris Paul Project
20th Century Studios has some animated features that are in production. They include:
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid – An animated approach to this story coming from 20th Century Studios.
- The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild – This will see a return of some favorite Ice Age characters and star Simon Pegg.
- Night at the Museum – This new adventure of the popular series will be animated by 20th Century Studios.
Finally, there are several live-action feature films in production as well:
- Jungle Cruise – This will be arriving next year and a brief look was given about this film.
- Cruella – This is an origin story that takes place in London during the 70s and stars Emma Stone with Emma Thompson as well. It will be released on Disney+ on May 26, 2021.
- The Lion King – A prequel to 2019 The Lion King, it will be directed by Barry Jenkins. It will include music from Hans Zimmer, Pharrell, and Succession’s Nicholas Britell.
- The Little Mermaid – This live-action retelling of the animated classic will be directed by Rob Marshall. The cast was also revealed for the movie which includes Halle Bailey (Ariel), Daveed Diggs (Sebastian), Javier Bardem (King Triton), Jacob Tremblay (Flounder), Melissa McCarthy (Ursula), Jonah Hauer-King (Prince Eric), and Awkwafina (Scuttle).
What are you most excited about that is coming from Walt Disney Studios? Share your thoughts in the comments below!