The Disneyland Resort kicked off the Summer of Heroes with a star studded event in Disney California Adventure. After a special party in Hollywood Backlots, a ceremony took place for the opening of the Tivan Collection by The Collector. Hosted by The Collector’s assistant(s), this event included Chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts Bob Chapek and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 director James Gunn. They were joined by Pom Klementieff who portrayed Mantis, Michael Rooker who portrayed Yondu, and Zoe Saldana who plays Gamora. Finally Benicio del Toro joined to take the place of The Collector. When The Collector’s assistant was worried about him taking The Collector’s place he quipped that he was sure The Collector would mind. Moments later the area erupted with lights, lasers, and pyrotechnics as Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! was officially opened to the media and honored guests.
The events kick off the Disneyland Resort’s Summer of Heroes. The Summer of Heroes runs from May 27th to September 10th. It includes the following:
Disney California Adventure:
Guests will enjoy some of the Super Hero experiences year-round:
- Super Hero Encounters: For the first time, citizens of Terra (Earth) will come face-to- face with Groot. They also may encounter the First Avenger, Captain America, and everyone’s favorite web slinger, the friendly, neighborhood Spider-Man.
- “Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off!”: Star-Lord fires up his old-school boom box to get a party started. Everyone, including tree-of-few-words Groot, is bound to get in the groove and show off their moves during this awesome rock ‘n’ roll bash.
For a limited time (May 27 through Sept. 10), some new adventures will be exclusive to
Summer of Heroes:
- “Avengers Training Initiative”: Black Widow and Hawkeye assemble young recruits for a series of tests to see if they have what it takes to join the ranks of the Avengers.
- Heroic Encounter: Black Widow: Black Widow arrives on the scene several times throughout the day in an armored Avengers vehicle for her heroic encounter with park guests.
- Grab a Piece (or Bite) of the Action: Special themed merchandise, plus food and beverage items, will be available throughout Hollywood Land.
Another new, year-round show is fun for all ages:
- “Disney Junior Dance Party!”: Debuting Friday, May 26, this fun concert experience invites adults and kids to dance and sing along to the music. Popular Disney Junior characters from Disney Junior TV shows “Doc McStuffins,” “Sofia the First” and “The Lion Guard” are joined by Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse from the new series “Mickey and the Roadster Racers.”
In addition, the popular “Pixar Play Parade,” presenting the colorful and exciting worlds of the Disney•Pixar pals from “Toy Story,” “Monsters, Inc.” “Finding Nemo,” “Cars” and others, has returned to Disney California Adventure with daily performances full of fun and surprising movement and effects.
And Princess Elena, the adventurous heroine of the Disney Channel series “Elena of Avalor” and the first Disney Princess inspired by diverse Latin American cultures will greet her fans in the patio of Paradise Garden Grill.
Along with the Main Street Electrical Parade, some classic guest favorites have been enhanced and are set to return in Summer 2017. Dates will be available soon at Disneyland.com.
- The summer months offer a last chance to view the lights, music and fun of the beloved Main Street Electrical Nightly performances through Aug. 20 feature favorites like Cinderella’s ball, Elliot, the smoke-breathing, tail-waggin “Pete’s Dragon” and the glittering “To Honor America” finale.
- The popular nighttime spectacular “Fantasmic!” is set to re-open this summer on the Rivers of America, enhanced with new scenes and Guests will find Mickey Mouse in more scenes than ever before, and they’ll discover new roles for Genie from “Aladdin” along with characters from “Tangled,” “The Lion King” and “Pirates of the Caribbean.”
- As work continues on a new Star Wars-themed land, set to open in 2019, the iconic Disneyland Railroad is preparing to return this summer to take guests on a tour of the They’ll enjoy a new look along the Rivers of America, with a spectacular new vista of a waterfall, rocky cliffs and a dramatic gorge below.
- Also returning this summer are the Rivers of America attractions: the Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes and Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island.
- In Tomorrowland, Star Wars and Disney fans will step into out-of-this-galaxy experiences at Star Wars Launch Bay, meeting some Star Wars characters and getting an up-close look at replica props and models from Star Wars movies, including the latest “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. ”
Read DAPs Magic’s review of Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! here. Watch the ride-through of the this attraction below and keep your eyes open for DAPs Magic’s video that includes the queue and Stan Lee cameo.
**DAPS MAGIC received a complimentary product or experience to facilitate the writing of this article. It did not influence the opinions of the author. Opinions are wholly the views of the author. View the DAPs Magic Disclosure Policy for more info. Link for Disclosure Policy can be found at the bottom of this page.**