Encanto is now available for watching via digital download or on Blu-ray/DVD. This Disney musical tells the story of a girl named Mirabel who lives in an enchanted house with her magical family in Columbia. Everyone has magical powers though, except her. When she discovers the magic is fading though, Mirabel must save the magic and her home. Encanto is an absolutely magical movie musical that is fun for the whole family. Disney sent DAPS MAGIC a copy to review. Below are our thoughts.
Watching Encanto from the comfort of a home theater is a wonderful experience. The colors are vibrant. The animation is beautiful. The characters are engaging. The whole experience is simply visually appealing. The audio that accompanies this is also beautiful. Together it makes for a wonderful viewing and listening experience that the whole family will enjoy.
There are multiple extras included with Encanto. These extras really add to the film. Definitely watch the film, watch the extras, and then watch the film again. It will be a different experience the second time after watching the extras. The extras for Encanto really add to the film. As I review more and more movies, I realize that this truly is the definition of success for a collection of extras. Below is what is included in the extras.
- Sing Along with the Movie – Sing along with your favorite songs with on-screen lyrics as you watch the movie.
- Familia Lo Es Todo – Members of the Disney Animation “Familia” cultural trust share real-life experiences in this exploration of the lovable Madrigal family members. We learn what inspired each character, and about how the artists’ designs bring realism to their personalities.
- Discover Colombia – The filmmaking team discusses how the multiple cultures, biodiversity and vibrant colors of Colombia are expressed in Encanto. They describe how satisfying it was to fully celebrate this beautiful country and support the theme of magical realism.
- A Journey Through Music – The filmmakers invite us to discover how each character came to be represented musically. We follow the creation of Encanto’s Colombian-inspired music, featuring Lin-Manuel Miranda’s songs and Germaine Franco’s score, from concept to final recording.
- Let’s Talk About Bruno – Learn how the song “We Don’t Talk About Bruno,” with its intriguing undertones, was created. Discover the extensive collaboration between Lin-Manuel Miranda, choreographer Jamal Sims, the voice cast and animators in bringing it to the screen.
- Our Casita – La Casa Madrigal is alive with magic, and its emotional state is affected by other family members. From its colorful doors to its fine stonework, the magical house was designed using principles of Colombian tradition.
- Outtakes – From the thrill of “nailing” a take in the presence of an entertainment industry icon to the hilarity of losing a wrestling match with tongue-twisting dialogue, join the cast for some good-natured fun from behind the microphone.
- Journey to Colombia – With the help of the Colombian Cultural Trust, a dedicated team of consultants, the filmmakers of Encanto embark on a journey of discovery to learn more about Colombia and how best to reflect the country’s cultures and environments on the big screen.
- An Introduction to Far From the Tree – Writer and director Natalie Nourigat introduces the Walt Disney Animation Studios short film Far From the Tree.
- Far From the Tree – Parenting is hard, especially when curiosity tugs at a young raccoon whose parent tries to keep them both safe. In the Walt Disney Animation Studios short Far From the Tree, this youngster learns to live with an open heart… even as danger lurks.
- Deleted Scenes
- Introduction – Heads of Story Jason Hand and Nancy Kruse present four scenes not seen in the film’s release, but were part of the journey toward the final version of the story.
- Chores! – Abuela has sent most of the family to town on various assignments that bring them acclaim, while Mirabel, her father and uncle are asked to clean the house.
- Another Way In – Mirabel attempts to understand a clue found in her uncle’s vision. To make this happen, she must go through Antonio’s room, where adventures unfold.
- Isabela Goes Into the Woods – When Mirabel sees her sister head for apparent danger in the woods, she races to save her, and encounters the surprise of a lifetime!
- Back to the Mural – Feeling rejected, Mirabel goes back to town. Abuela seeks her out and reveals a part of her personality that her granddaughter has never seen.
- Song Selection – Jump to your favorite musical moments, with on-screen lyrics.
- The Family Madrigal
- Colombia, Mi Encanto
- Waiting on a Miracle
- Surface Pressure
- We Don’t Talk About Bruno
- What Else Can I Do
- Dos Oruguitas
- All of You
*bonus features vary by product and retailer
All of these bonus features are worth watching in this case. If I were to have one that I would put in the second place it would be the Outtakes or maybe the sing-along. Overall, though, these are very enjoyable extras and worth purchasing Encanto so they can be added to your Disney library.
Encanto is a beautiful movie that is also very relatable. Watching the movie it is amazing how many of the characters feel like they could be pulled right from any viewer’s family. So many of the characters are people that we all know and love. Couple that with beautiful animation, very enjoyable music, and a whole lot of heart, this makes for a wonderful addition to the Disney animation library. This specific release is also one that every Disney fan will want for their collection as well. Personally, I would suggest grabbing the Blu-ray and having it for your library! It is a beautiful movie and easily gets a hat tip!
DAPS MAGIC was given an experience or product free of charge to review that was used for this coverage. The opinions given in this review were that of the reviewer. There are no claims of being an expert. This is simply a review given with honest opinions.