Walt Disney World Resort has kicked off its 50th Anniversary celebration. The Most Magical Celebration on Earth celebrates 50 years of magic-making in Central Florida. However, Disney doesn’t just make the magic inside its theme parks. Over the last 50 years, Disney has also actively contributed to the community around it.
Over the last five decades, Disney has given back to the people who give so much to the communities of Central Florida. These are the places where cast members of Walt Disney World Resort work and play when not at the parks. This is a tradition that is quite important to Disney and that continues to be a priority.
As Walt Disney World Resort celebrates 50 years of being a part of the community in Central Florida, it has granted $3 million to six local non-profits. These organizations help with important causes and make a major difference to the children and families Central Florida.
Disney released a video with Walt Disney World Resort President Jeff Vahle sharing about Disney’s donations to these very special and important organizations.
The six organizations that Walt Disney World Resort partners with in the community Give Kids The World Village, Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida, Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida, Heart of Florida United Way, Hope Partnership, and ELEVATE Orlando. These organizations are making a difference to help make Central Florida’s future even better and brighter.
Disney didn’t just give money to these six organizations, though. They also gave them a spotlight and highlighted what they are doing on the Disney Parks Blog for the world to see. Below is a look at the six organizations that Disney granted money to:
- As an establishing partner for this organization since 1986, Give Kids The World Village is an integral part of our Wish Granting efforts at Walt Disney World Resort. During a transformative week at Give Kids The World Village, Wish families are able to laugh, play and create priceless memories together away from hospital visits and medical procedures, helping children build the physical and emotional strength needed to fight a critical illness. Disney VoluntEARS are a mainstay of Give Kids The World Village, coordinating meals, serving ice cream and assisting families staying at the resort.
- A key partner in supporting youth development, Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida empowers children with the confidence they need to stay out of trouble, make good decisions and chart a course toward a healthy and productive life through after-school activities, including events and programs with our Disney VoluntEARS.
- Driven to close the gap of unmet needs in Central Florida, Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida helps to create hope and nourish lives through a powerful hunger relief network. The Disney Harvest Program supports Second Harvest’s great work in serving more than 40 Orlando-area nonprofits, and for years, Disney VoluntEARS have helped to sort and pack food delivered across the region – and can even be seen throughout the mural of the iconic wall of Disney characters in Second Harvest’s warehouse.
- As a longstanding partner of Walt Disney World Resort, Heart of Florida United Way improves the lives of individuals and families, building strong communities by uniting people and organizations to create measurable results and a lasting impact.
- Supporting families experiencing homelessness and poverty in Osceola County, Hope Partnership provides a pathway to employment, healthcare and housing through its Hope Works Program, connecting individuals with organizations like Disney VoluntEARS for skills-based support.
- ELEVATE Orlando works to build life-changing relationships with urban youth, providing students with opportunities such as job shadowing, personal introductions and in-class speakers’ series which has been a resoundingly popular Disney VoluntEARS event for employees across The Walt Disney Company.
What do you think of these grants given by Disney to these six nonprofits? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below!