Disney-Pixar’s Soul will soon be available for fans to purchase digitally along with 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™, and DVD. It will be released in these formats on March 23, 2021.
Soul tells the story of Joe Gardner (voiced by Jamie Foxx). Gardner loves jazz and finds himself landing the gig of a lifetime. However, right after this he also finds himself landing in a completely different and wondrous place: The Great Before. There, he teams up with soul 22 (Tina Fey) to find answers to many of the questions about life. Soul was originally released on Disney+ on December 25, 2020, and DAPS MAGIC reviewed it.
The film, directed by Pete Docter and co-directed by Kemp Powers, will also include new bonus features that have never been seen before. This will include never-before-seen deleted scenes and audio commentary by Pete Docter, Kemp Powers and Dana Murray. There will also be a couple of different package releases as well. At Best Buy, the film can be purchased that is packaged in a collectible SteelBook® exclusively. At Target the film will be packaged with a limited-edition gallery book.
Soul has been honored as the winner of the National Board of Review’s Best Animated Feature and was also included on its Top Films list. It also received the American Film Institute’s Movie of the Year Award. The film was also Certified-Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes™. It also has recently been featured in a new exhibit at EPCOT featuring the history of jazz. It is a film that is fun for the whole family, along with full of heart.
Disney and Pixar’s “Soul” Bonus Features*
- Deleted Scenes
- Introduction – Writer Mike Jones and story supervisor Kristen Lester introduce the “Soul” deleted scenes.
- Mentor Orientation – Joe sneaks into the You Seminar Mentor Program orientation, trying to figure out how on earth he can get back to … Earth.
- Clubhouse Forgery – Joe follows 22 into her “secret lair” as she reluctantly agrees to help him find his way back to Earth.
- Home Lessons – Stuck inside Joe’s body, 22 clumsily attempts to help the downstairs neighbor.
- Living the Dream – Joe has a heart-to-heart with 22 about her fear of living on Earth, then tries to make his way back home via a dream portal.
- Press Shot – Joe, stuck in a cat’s body, and 22, stuck in Joe’s body, take the subway to the jazz club for a publicity photography session.
- Audio Commentary – View the film with audio commentary by director Pete Docter, co-director/writer Kemp Powers and producer Dana Murray.
- Not Your Average Joe – See the thought and care that went into crafting Joe and his story in Pixar’s first film to feature a Black leading character.
- Astral Taffy – Get an in-depth look at the artistry and technical innovation that went into creating the sets and characters in the world of “Soul.”
- Pretty Deep for a Cartoon – The filmmakers tackle big questions, such as where does a newborn’s personality come from, what’s the meaning of life, and more!
- Into the Zone: The Music and Sound of Soul – Explore the movie’s different sonic worlds and discover how music drives and adds specificity to Joe’s journey.
- “Soul,” Improvised – See how the Pixar Systems team and “Soul”’s crew managed to finish the film on schedule during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Jazz Greats – Giants of the jazz world who consulted on “Soul” share their passion and hard-won wisdom about what music is and does for us all.
*Bonus features may vary by retailer and product.
Soul features an incredible collection of vocal talent in its cast. It includes:
- Jamie Foxx as the voice of Joe Gardner
- Tina Fey as the voice of 22
- Phylicia Rashad as the voice of Libba
- Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson as the voice of Curley
- Angela Bassett as the voice of Dorothea
- Daveed Diggs as the voice of Paul
- Graham Norton as the voice of Moonwind
- Rachel House as the voice of Terry
- Alice Braga as the voice of Counselor Jerry
- Richard Ayoade as the voice of Counselor Jerry
- Wes Studi as the voice of Counselor Jerry
- Fortune Feimster as the voice of Counselor Jerry
- Zenobia Shroff as the voice of Counselor Jerry
- Donnell Rawlings as the voice of Dez
- June Squibb as the voice of Gerel
What do you think of the release of Soul for home entertainment with this collection of bonus features? Are you going to purchase it? What format will you purchase it in? What bonus feature are you most looking forward to? Share your thoughts in the comments below!