The Muppet Movie: Nearly 35th Anniversary Edition
Nearly 35 years ago Kermit and the gang made their foray onto the big screen in The Muppet Movie. This is the movie that shares the story of how The Muppets originally came together and journeyed to Hollywood. It is a movie about dreaming, friendship, and perseverance. And now, it’s a movie that is on Blu-Ray. Catch Kermit, Fozzy, Miss Piggy, and the whole gang as they come together in the best Muppet movie ever.
Picture and Sound:
The Picture and Sound for The Muppet Movie: Nearly 35th Anniversary Edition is definitely an improvement over past releases of The Muppet Movie. However, it isn’t perfect. It does show its age. At first I was disappointed by this but as I continued to watch the movie I really found it endearing. The Muppets have never been polished. They have always been a group of misfits that come together as friends to overcame all adversity. The presentation of The Muppet Movie: Nearly 35th Anniversary Edition seemed to just continue that storyline.
There weren’t a TON of bonus features for The Muppet Movie: Nearly 35th Anniversary Edition. That being said, one 18 minute bonus feature made up for the rest in my opinion. Here are the bonus features being offered:
- Jim Frawley’s Extended Camera Test: This is the camera test that Jim Frawley shot to figure out how best to shoot Kermit and the gang. It is 18 minutes of pure gold. There are moments that are absolutely hilarious. My favorite is Kermit and Fozzy bear talking in a tree… and I’ll leave it at that.
- Frog-E-Oke Sing-Along: It’s a sing-a-long to Rainbow Connection, Movin’ Right Along, and Can You Picture That?. I found this bonus feature a bit lacking. Kids might like it but the quality gap is a bit of a problem.
- Pepe Profiles Present Kermit: A Frog’s Life: Pepe digs into the early years of Kermit the Frog. It’s cute but not a home run.
- Disney Intermission: Pause the movie for a musical intermission.
- Doc Hopper’s Commercial: Doc Hopper’s commercial. The biggest commercial for a non-existent restaurant you’ll find? Perhaps. It’s kind of fun though.
- Original Trailers: The original trailers for The Muppet Movie. It is kind of fun to watch these and compare to how the more recent Muppet movies are marketed.
Personally, I am thrilled that they have released The Muppet Movie: Nearly 35th Anniversary Edition. It is easily the best Muppet movie that has been released. The brilliance of The Muppets all shine through and set the standard for future Muppet movies. This is worth getting if you are a Muppet fan or if you just like a silly musical comedy that focuses on the values of pursuing dreams, perseverance, and friendship. It also has some of the best songs that have every come from The Muppets. I heartily give this movie a hat tip. I only wish there had been more bonus features. For now though, I definitely recommend going out and getting this flick!
Experience theMuppet Movie like Never Before As It Arrives on Blu-ray and Digital Hi-Def This Fall
THEMUPPET MOVIE: THE ORIGINAL CLASSIC
Available Nationwide, August 13, 2013
And Packaged To Include Disney Intermission (for non-stop, Muppet-astic entertainment) Plus, Even More Never-Before-Seen Bonus Content
Synopsis: See how the Muppets began, with the nearly 35th Anniversary Special Edition of the original, classic that started it all—The Muppet Movie, produced by the cultural icon and Muppet creator himself, Jim Henson! Witness the hilarious origins of everyone’s favorite Muppets–Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy, Gonzo, Animal, and the rest—as they embark on an inspirational and laugh-filled road trip to follow their Hollywood dreams. And now for the first time, you and your family can see the Muppets make the “rainbow connection” in vibrant Blu-ray Hi-Def.
Bring home the story of the Muppets’ rise to stardom on hi-def for the first time ever, complete with all-new bonus and the non-stop entertainment of Disney Intermission. Experience the beloved Muppet classic like never before on Hi-Def Blu-ray and Digital, August 13, 2013
Cast: Jim Henson (TheMuppet Show, Fraggle Rock), Frank Oz (Star Wars, Monsters, Inc.), Dave Goelz (TheMuppets, Muppets from Space), Jerry Nelson (TheMuppets, Muppets from Space), Richard Hunt (TheMuppet Show, Fraggle Rock)
Director: James Frawley (The Big Bus, The Three Stooges)
Writers: Jerry Juhl (TheMuppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island) & Jack Burns (Muppets from Space, TheMuppet Show)
Exec. Producer: Jim Henson (TheMuppet Show, The Dark Crystal)
Assoc. Producer: David Lazar (TheMuppet Show, The Great Muppet Caper)
Bonus Features: Disney Intermission & New Never-Before-Seen/Shared Content
Release Date: August 13, 2013 (Direct Pre-book: 6/18; Distributor Pre-book:7/2)
Feature Run Time: Approximately 95 minutes
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Audio: Dolby Digital Surround Sound
Subtitles: English, Spanish