Disney officials announced Tuesday that they are making changes to the “Mission: Space” attraction at Epcot, Local 6 News has learned.
Beginning this summer, Epcot guests will have two options when it comes to the ride; they can either go on the current attraction or a new version which provides a milder experience, according to the report.
In the new version, the spinning centrifuge will be turned off for guests who are prone to motion sickness or have other conditions.
“By offering a second adventure, we hope to broaden the appeal of “Mission: Space” and enable even more guests to experience the attraction,” said Al Weiss, president of Walt Disney World Resort.
Signs posted in the queue area of “Mission: Space” will outline the difference between the two adventures and provide health advisories appropriate for each experience.
“Providing a choice between two ride options will help to further encourage all Guests to carefully consider posted health advisories when making their decision,” Weiss said.
Last month, Hiltrud Bleumel died after she got sick on the ride.
Also, last year, a 4-year-old boy died after riding “Mission: Space.”
An autopsy determined Daudi Bamuwamye, of Sellersville, Pa., died of an irregular heartbeat linked to a natural causes. The boy had an abnormal thickening of the heart muscle that can throw heart contractions out of coordination.
People with the condition are at risk for sudden death throughout their lives, especially in physically or emotionally stressful situations, a medical examiner said.
“Mission: Space” opened in August 2003. Since that time, 11.8 million rides have been given on the attraction, which simulates the launch, approach and landing of a futuristic spacecraft on Mars.
The attraction is made up of four separate ride systems, each with its own centrifuge and programmable simulators.
Watch Local 6 News for more on this breaking news story.