The Disney100: The Exhibition will be opening at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. The exhibit will be opening on February 18, 2023, 250 artifacts from The Walt Disney Archives. 23 of these artifacts have been revealed by D23 just a month before the opening of Disney100: The Exhibition. The exhibit will include pieces that highlight the legacy that Walt Disney started 100 years ago with the founding of The Walt Disney Company in 1923.
The list of the 23 items that were revealed are here:
- Story Script Page from Steamboat Willie (1928)
- Visual Development Art for Alice in Wonderland (1951), created by artist and Disney Legend Mary Blair*
- Concept Drawing of Disneyland by artist and Disney Legend Herb Ryman, graphite on paper (1953)*
- Nautilus Special Effects Filming Model for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)
- Engineer Mickey Mouse used by Walt Disney on Opening Day of Disneyland, 1955
- Disneyland® Park Jungle Cruise Attraction Vehicle Model used by Walt Disney, “A Trip Through Adventureland/Water Birds” – Disneyland (TV, 1956)
- Prop Storybook featured in Sleeping Beauty(1959)
- Clean-up Animation for Sleeping Beauty (1959), created by artist and Disney Legend Marc Davis*
- Carousel Horse from Mary Poppins (1964), used by Disney Legend Julie Andrews
- Visual Development Art for The Little Mermaid (1989), created by artist and Disney Legend Glen Keane*
- Genie Maquette for Aladdin (1992), created by artist Kent Melton
- Spell Book from Hocus Pocus (1993), used by Disney Legend Bette Midler
- Mater Maquette for Cars (2006), created by artist Jerome Ranft
- East High School Yearbook from High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008)
- Visual Development Art Digital Painting for The Princess and the Frog (2009), created by artist Sue Nichols
- Visual Development Art Digital Painting for Frozen (2013), created by artist Julia Kalantarova
- BB-8 Puppet used in Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015), Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017), and Star Wars: The Rise ofSkywalker (2019)
- Captain America Shield used in Captain America: Civil War (2016)
- Lumière Production Model for Beauty and the Beast (2017)
- First Order Stormtrooper Armor from Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019), designed by Michael Kaplan and Glyn Dillon
- Black Panther Costume from Black Panther (2018)
- Cinderella Castle Model for Magic Kingdom® Park at Walt Disney World® Resort
- Attraction Vehicle from Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disneyland Park
*Reproduction of the original
Along with revealing what these 23 items are, images of the artifacts were also shown by D23.
Disney100: The Exhibition will be opening on February 18, 2023 and then continue through August 27, 2023. Tickets for the exhibit are both timed and dated. Advanced ticket purchase is suggested. Information about purchasing tickets and visiting this exhibit can be found at www.fi.edu.
Disney100: The Exhibition is created and curated by the Walt Disney Archives and Semmel Exhibitions. The exhibit will be presented at The Franklin Institute in the Nicholas and Athena Karats Pavilion and the Mandell Center.
What do you think about Disney100: The Exhibition? Will you be checking it out once it opens? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below!