Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Chairman Josh D’Amaro took to the stage to share about what is on the horizon around the globe for Disney Parks and beyond! The panel was full of magical moments, musical performances, humorous references, and lots of possibilities for the future.
Throughout the course of the panel, D’Amaro shared about what is coming to the Disneyland Resort and beyond. He started where it all began though, the Happiest Place on Earth. Throughout the course of the panel, the following details were revealed about what is coming to the Disneyland Resort:
- Avengers Campus is being expanded with third attraction being added. The attraction will allow guests to experience the multiverse. There, they will be able to find themselves up against any villain from any time or any where. King Thanos will be a new villain variant who will be the big foe. King Thanos is what happens when Thanos wins.
- The Incredible Hulk is coming to Avengers Campus next week
- The Mandalorian and Grogu are headed to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in mid-November
- Pacific Wharf is being rethemed to become San Fransokyo where guests can enter the world as seen in Big Hero 6. Guests will even be able to meet Baymax
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway and Mickey’s Toontown will open and create immersive experiences for all in early 2023
- Paradise Pier Hotel’s new name will be Pixar Place Hotel
- Porto’s Baker & Cafe is Coming to Downtown Disney
- runDisney is returning to the Disneyland Resort in 2024
- Tiana’s Bayou Adventure Arriving at Disneyland Resort in 2024
At Walt Disney World Resort there are some fun things on the way as well. The panel actually began with Jordan Fisher singing the main tune to Happily Ever After. This would lead to some news from D’Amaro when he took the stage right after. Here are the highlights of what is coming to the Walt Disney World Resort:
- Happily Ever After Fireworks Returning to Magic Kingdom in 2023
- World Celebration at EPCOT to be completed in late 2023.
- Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana to open in late 2023 at EPCOT
- Figment meet and greet character to arrive at EPCOT by end of 2023
- TRON / Lightcycle Run to open at Magic Kingdom in spring 2023.
- Hatbox Ghost to arrive at Haunted Mansion in Magic Kingdom in 2023
There were also some updates from the Disney Cruise Line. One of the biggest updates had to do with the next ship to join the fleet. Here are the highlights of the Disney Cruise Line portion of the panel:
- New ship to be called Disney Treasure
- Disney Treasure to arrive in 2024 and be themed around adventure.
- The Grand Hall of the Disney Treasure will be inspired by real world lands of Asia and Africa and the fictional world of Agrabah. Aladdin, Jasmine, and the flying carpet will be the statue in the Grand Hall.
- Disney Wonder Headed to Australia and New Zealand.
- Disney Wonder’s repositioning cruise will allow guests to visit South Pacific destinations like Fiji and Samoa.
- Progress continues on Lighthouse Point, concept art shared.
Frozen continues to be popular and three new land expansions based on the franchise are coming around the globe. D’Amaro gave a look at what they will be like. Here are the highlights of upcoming Frozen lands and attractions:
- World of Frozen to open at Hong Kong Disneyland in second half of 2023
- Frozen-themed land to be next major milestone in expansion of Walt Disney Studios Park at Disneyland Paris
- New Tangled-themed family attraction will be found in gardens leading to the new land at Disneyland Paris
- Frozen to be part of Disneyland Hotel transformation at Disneyland Paris, set to open in 2024
- New stage show, Pixar: We Belong Together, coming to Walt Disney Studios Park at Disneyland Paris as culmination of 30th anniversary
- Frozen is one of three stories coming to Tokyo DisneySea’s Fantasy Springs at the Tokyo Disney Resort. The other two are Peter Pan and Tangled
- New hotel to be integrated into Tokyo DisneySea’s expansion as well
Shanghai Disneyland Resort also has some exciting things going on. First and foremost, Zootopia is heading to Shanghai Disneyland. Attendees of the D23 Expo panel were given a look at what it will be look and how impressive one of the animatronics will be. Animals will be going about their lives at the Zootopia Central Station. The Zootopia Police Station will be the entrance to the land’s attraction, where the impressive animatronic of Officer Clawhauser will be found.
Duffy is Mickey’s favorite teddy bear and can be found in all three Disney resorts in Asia. Now, he and his friends will be starring in a six-episode stop-motion animated series on Disney+ next year.
100 Years of Wonder will be The Walt Disney Company’s celebration of 100 years of magic making. D’Amaro said that this will be the biggest celebration in Disney’s history. The celebration will include new décor, specialty food and beverages, character experiences, and many other things. The celebration will be starting at the Disneyland Resort. Here are a few highlights of how Disney’s 100th anniversary will be celebrated:
- New fireworks spectacular, Wondrous Journeys, coming to Disneyland in late January 2023
- World of Color – One coming to Disney California Adventure
- Magic Happens returning to Disneyland in spring 2023
- New nighttime spectacular coming to World Showcase Lagoon at EPCOT in late 2023
- A new statue of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse will be added at Hong Kong Disneyland behind the Castle of Magical Dreams
Throughout the panel, there was also some time spent sharing some of the blue-sky ideas that are being discussed at Walt Disney Imagineering with Walt Disney Animation. This included sharing potential ideas for what could come to Dinoland U.S.A. at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and also what could come to Magic Kingdom. This included popular stories like Moana, Zootopia, Encanto, Coco, and Disney Villains! While these ideas are still in the blue-sky phase, any or none of them could end up becoming reality at some point in the future.
The panel also included some fantastic performance. Along with the Happily Ever After performance by Jordan Fisher, Disney Legend Anika Noni Rose performed music from The Princess and the Frog with some amazing dancers after details were shared about Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. The panel culminated with the performance of the new song for Wondrous Journeys. This was a song called It’s Wondrous.
Throughout the panel, D’Amaro shared the power of dreams lead to endless possibilities for the future of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. Disney and the world has gone through a couple of very hard years. Now things are gearing up again and the future is looking as exciting as ever with new technology, ideas, dreams, and possibilities. The future is bright and exciting as the dreams continue to live on.
Take a Look at the Highlights of A Boundless Future: Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Panel at D23 Expo 2022 Photos
Walt Disney World Resort
Tiana’s Bayou Adventure
Hong Kong Disneyland
Shanghai Disney Resort
Duffy and Friends
At D23 Expo 2022, Chairman Josh D’Amaro Shares a Boundless Future for Disney Parks, Experiences and Products
D’Amaro offers first look at future of Avengers Campus, the Disney Treasure,
and preview of Disney 100 Years of Wonder, the biggest celebration in
the history of The Walt Disney Company
ANAHEIM, Calif. (Sept. 11, 2022) – Today at D23 Expo 2022, Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Chairman Josh D’Amaro shared a look into the future for Disney theme parks and beyond, with announcements that continue to defy expectations and inspire imagination. Highlights included the expansion of Avengers Campus at Disneyland Resort with a third attraction; a first look at the Disney Treasure, the next ship joining the Disney Cruise Line fleet; a closer look at the Frozen-themed lands coming to three park destinations around the world; and a behind-the-scenes look at the blue-sky brainstorming of Disney Imagineers.
“It’s terrific to be together in person and connect with our fans again at D23 Expo. I love sharing in the excitement with them for what we have ahead of us,” said Josh D’Amaro. “As the world’s greatest storytellers, I’m thrilled to share the new and innovative ways we are bringing next-generation Disney magic to life across Disney parks and experiences.”
As D’Amaro welcomed thousands of fans back to the ultimate Disney fan event for the first time since 2019, the audience was wowed by appearances from special guests, celebrities, never-before-seen characters and electric performances that filled Hall D23 with music and excitement.
Singer-songwriter Jordan Fisher kicked off the show with a rousing performance of the popular anthem “Happily Ever After.” Executive Producer and Disney Legend Jon Favreau joined to share a first look at the Mandalorian and Grogu before they encounter guests starting in mid-November inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Park in Anaheim. Then, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige shared how Avengers Campus at Disneyland Resort will expand the multiverse with a third attraction, along with the debut of the Incredible Hulk, who will appear in his Quantum Suit at Avengers Campus in California beginning next week for a limited time.
The audience was brought to their feet with a stellar performance by Disney Legend and Tony Award-winner Anika Noni Rose, the voice of Tiana in Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “The Princess and The Frog,” as more details were revealed about Tiana’s Bayou Adventure coming to Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort in late 2024. As D’Amaro shared a closer look at the Frozen-themed areas coming to Hong Kong Disneyland, Tokyo Disney Resort and Disneyland Paris, the audience was treated to a moving rendition of the “Frozen 2” hit song “Into the Unknown” performed in Cantonese, Japanese and French.
A highlight of the morning included a look at what’s possible when Disney Imagineers and their collaborators dream big. Disney Animation Chief Creative Officer Jennifer Lee, the Academy Award-winning writer and director of “Frozen” and “Frozen 2,” shared how the studio is working with Walt Disney Imagineering on concept explorations for Dinoland U.S.A. at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park and potential expansion opportunities at Magic Kingdom park, both at Walt Disney World. Finally, D’Amaro offered a look at Disney100, the biggest celebration in the company’s history, which will kick off in January.
The presentation was full of exciting announcements with an incredible slate of experiences coming to Disney parks, resorts, cruise ships and beyond:
New Stories Coming to Disneyland Resort
Guests at Disney California Adventure park will soon head into the Multiverse alongside fan-favorite Super Heroes, as details on a never-before-seen third attraction with a brand-new story was announced for Avengers Campus. Joining in battle with the Avengers means facing foes from anywhere and every when, including a new threat, King Thanos, a Multiverse variant designed specifically for Avengers Campus.
Just around the corner from Avengers Campus, Pacific Wharf will be reimagined as San Fransokyo from the Oscar-winning Disney Animation film “Big Hero 6,”complete with a place to meet Baymax as well as new spots to eat and shop.
At Disneyland park, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will invite guests into a cartoon world where toon rules apply, and Mickey’s Toontown will step into a new era of inclusive experiences for families of all ages when it opens in early 2023.
Across the way, progress continues on the reimagining of the Paradise Pier Hotel to Pixar Place Hotel, where guests will feel as though they’ve stepped into a Pixar art gallery featuring new interpretations of favorite Pixar pals. Over at the Downtown Disney District, more than a dozen new and reimagined locations will open, including a Southern Californian favorite, Porto’s Bakery & Café. For running fans, runDisney races will return to the resort in 2024.
Tiana’s Bayou Adventure at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort
Imagineers joined D’Amaro onstage to discuss new story details for Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, coming to Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort in late 2024. Several members of the original film cast will return to lend their voices to the attraction, including Anika Noni Rose as Tiana, Bruno Campos as Naveen, Michael-Leon Wooley as Louis and Jenifer Lewis as Mama Odie.
Walt Disney World Resort and the Transformation of EPCOT
The next major milestone in EPCOT’s multi-year transformation will include the completion of the World Celebration neighborhood in late 2023. Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana will also open in late 2023, inviting guests to follow the story of water on the planet, inspired by Moana’s connection to the ocean. Fan-favorite character Figment will also appear live to park guests by the end of 2023.
Over at Magic Kingdom, TRON / Lightcycle Run will invite guests to enter the Grid in spring 2023. Popular anthem “Happily Ever After” will play again when an updated nighttime spectacular returns to light up the skies over Cinderella Castle in 2023. At the Haunted Mansion, the Hatbox Ghost will materialize in 2023.
New Horizons for Disney Cruise Line and the Disney Treasure
The sixth ship in the Disney Cruise Line fleet, the Disney Treasure, will set sail in 2024. Imagineers have dreamed up a new design concept inspired by the theme of adventure, celebrating Walt Disney’s lifelong love of exploration. The Grand Hall — the magnificent three-deck-tall atrium that welcomes guests on board — is inspired by the grandeur and mystery of a gilded palace, drawing on real-world influences from Asia and Africa, and paying homage to the far-off land of Agrabah. At the center, the signature statue will feature Aladdin, Jasmine and their Magic Carpet.
For the first time, Disney Cruise Line is bringing the magic of a Disney vacation to families and fans in Australia and New Zealand during limited-time cruises that immerse guests in Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars stories beginning in late October 2023. Additionally, repositioning cruises for the Disney Wonder will be the first South Pacific voyages for Disney Cruise Line, giving guests the chance to experience destinations like Fiji and Samoa.
In the Bahamas, progress continues on a beautiful new island destination at Lighthouse Point, which will bring the natural beauty and rich culture of the Bahamas to life for Disney Cruise Line guests.
Three Frozen-themed Lands Highlight Expansions at Parks Around the World
Inspired by Disney Animation’s stunning films, World of Frozen will open in the second half of 2023 at Hong Kong Disneyland – the first of three Frozen-themed areas coming to international Disney parks. It will blend Arendelle with the park’s natural landscapes on Lantau Island.
At Disneyland Paris, the Frozen-themed land will be the next major milestone in the ongoing transformation of Walt Disney Studios park. This land will offer a gorgeous lakeside promenade and will immerse guests in the same magical wintry setting from the films. A new Tangled-themed family attraction will join the new gardens leading into the land. Frozen will also be part of the transformation of the Disneyland Hotel, reopening in 2024. As part of the grand finale of the 30th Anniversary celebration underway, a new stage show, “Pixar: We Belong Together,” will debut next year in Walt Disney Studios park.
At Tokyo Disney Resort, Frozen is one of the stories coming to life as part of the Fantasy Springs expansion at Tokyo DisneySea, joining two other Disney Animation stories, “Peter Pan” and “Tangled,” plus a brand-new hotel integrated right into the park. Fantasy Springs will feature several new Audio-Animatronics figures, including Elsa, who sings in Japanese and whose movements sync with the rhythms of the language.
Shanghai Disney Resort will be the first Disney resort to bring the world of the Oscar-winning Disney Animation film “Zootopia” to life. At Zootopia Central Station, guests will find animals going about their daily lives. At the Zootopia Police Department, which doubles as the entrance for the land’s new family attraction, guests will be greeted by an Audio-Animatronics figure of Officer Clawhauser.
Mickey’s favorite teddy bear, Duffy, is a favorite of fans in all three Disney resorts in Asia, and D’Amaro shared that Duffy & Friends will star in their very own six-episode, stop-motion animated series on Disney+ next year.
Disney 100 Years of Wonder
D’Amaro concluded the presentation with a first look at how Disney Parks, Experiences and Products will mark Disney 100 Years of Wonder (Disney100), the biggest celebration in the history of the company. New décor, specialty food and beverages, character experiences and more will come to parks around the world, with the heart of the celebration rooted at Disneyland Resort.
· Two new nighttime spectaculars — “World of Color – One” and the new fireworks show “Wondrous Journeys” — will kick off in late January at Disneyland Resort. “World of Color – One” at Disney California Adventure will celebrate the storytelling legacy started by Walt Disney a century ago. It’s going to be World of Color like you’ve never seen it before, with an all-new inspiring story told through some favorite characters. “Wondrous Journeys” at Disneyland park will ignite the wonder in everyone and feature nods to all 60 Walt Disney Animation Studios films to date, taking viewers on a journey filled with artistry, music, storytelling and heart. Special entertainment moments will also pop up across the resort, including the long-awaited return of the “Magic Happens” parade this spring.
· A brand-new nighttime spectacular will come to the World Showcase Lagoon at EPCOT in late 2023 as part of the Disney100 Celebration.
· Hong Kong Disneyland will also unveil a new statue of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse near Cinderella’s Carousel as part of the Disney100 Celebration.