Today California Governor Gavin Newsom announced that Southern California counties including Orange County have been moved back into the restrictive Purple Tier due to an “unprecedented spike” in coronavirus cases statewide. Because of this, the governor said that he is hitting an  “emergency brake” on the state’s economic activity.

The re-entry of Orange County into the Purple Tier due to this COVID-19 spike does not mean that the Downtown Disney District will be closing again. However, it could impact the current experience. When Downtown Disney District opened this summer the county was in the Purple Tier. At the time, indoor dining was not allowed and capacity was limited.

At this time it is expected that Buena Vista Street will still reopen on Thursday, November 19, 2020. There were no plans for indoor dining with the reopening of Buena Vista Street as an extension of the Downtown Disney District.

California Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly commented on the moves saying, “This rapid rise in cases is significant change in transmission, not just in a couple of counties, not just in one or two regions across the state, but statewide, is absolutely essential for us to immediately take control of and manage so that we get out of this difficult period.”

Governor Newsom also said that counties will now be moving tiers after one week of observation of numbers instead of what had been two weeks previously. This means that the state will be able to react quicker to coronavirus cases.

DAPS MAGIC will continue to follow this story and provide updates as they become available. What do you think about Orange County moving into the Purple Tier? Share your thoughts in the comments below.