Construction has halted at the Disneyland Resort during its closure during the coronavirus outbreak. This includes work being done on the Avengers Campus that is scheduled to open this summer. It also stops work that is getting going on Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway that is coming to Mickey’s Toontown in 2022.
The news was broken by the OC Register who received a statement from Disney regarding the work stoppages. This closure also stops work that is currently being done on Snow White’s Scary Adventure, Haunted Mansion, and King Arthur’s Carrousel. Work also appeared to be in progress on brickwork in the northeast corner of the Hub (by the churro stand where the parade goes) as well.
This could also have an impact on future projects as well. Indiana Jones Adventure is supposed to be undergoing refurbishment this spring as well. According to permits, Indiana Jones Adventure was to get a new plank bridge along with its structure in the middle of the attraction along with refurbished rockwork. A more recent permit also indicates there will be some work done on the lighting and also replacing a motor control center.
There were multiple other permits filed as well. They include:
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway building for an attraction building with offices, restrooms and break rooms for cast members.
- Another permit indicated that the Frontierland entrance will be getting reworked. This will replace the gates and sign over the entrance along with widening the bridge.
- Over on Tom Sawyer’s Island, work was set to be done to reroof the Cider Mill and Blacksmith shop. This would include replacing a scenic prop platform.
- Mickey’s House in Toontown is permitted to get a new roof.
- Space Mountain is getting an emergency exit staircase on its exterior another permit explains. This could be work that has already been visible in Tomorrowland.
- Another permit indicates a shaded canopy will be coming to the Simba parking lot for Downtown Disney District visitors.
- Finally, a “crown castle” antenna cell site is permitted for a roof somewhere in Avengers Campus.
At this time, all of these projects are unfortunately on hold until it is again safe to move forward with them. In its initial closure announcement, the Disneyland Resort confirmed it would be closed throughout the month of March. At this time it isn’t known if that closure will be extended. DAPS MAGIC will continue to follow these stories and give updates as they become available.
What do you think about all the work that is permitted to be done at the Disneyland Resort? Which one excites you the most? Share your thoughts in the comments below!