Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, especially while on vacation. When visiting Aulani, there are some incredible places to eat breakfast. For those who aren’t at Aulani though, we have a recipe for you to bring Aulani home. The Aulani chef’s have created an island-inspired frittata with egg whites and vegetables, topped with a homemade macadamia nut pesto and cheese. They then shared this recipe via the Disney Parks Blog to be shared with you. Take a look at it, try it, and then let us know what you thought!
Geek Eats: Egg White Vegetable Frittata with Macadamia Nut Pesto Recipe From Aulani
MACADAMIA NUT PESTO
- 1 cup tightly packed basil leaves
- 3 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. chopped macadamia nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
EGG WHITE FRITTATA
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced eggplant
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced mushroom
- 1/4 cup diced zucchini
- 1/4 cup diced artichoke heart
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 16 egg whites
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
FOR MACADAMIA NUT PESTO:
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
FOR EGG WHITE FRITTATA:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease four (8-ounce) individual casserole dishes with butter. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan for 5 minutes, until hot.
- Sauté eggplant in the oil for 2 minutes. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes, until it begins to soften.
- Add mushrooms, zucchini, artichoke heart, and tomato and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place 4 egg whites in each casserole dish. Add 1/4 of the vegetables to each dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until eggs are set.
- Top each frittata with 1/4 cup of mozzarella, 1 tablespoon of goat cheese, and 2 tablespoons of pesto. Bake for 3-5 minutes, until cheese begins to brown.
What did you think of this recipe?