The Lunar New Year celebration began today at the Disneyland Resort in Disney California Adventure and also Downtown Disney. The celebration runs from February 8 through February 13, 2013 and has Mickey, Minnie, Mulan, and Mushu leading the celebration for the “Year of the Snake.”
The bulk of the celebration in Disney California Adventure could be found next to The Little Mermaid: Ariel’s Undersea Adventure in the San Francisco themed street. Unfortunately, they were hampered a little bit by rain that seemed to come and go. This also caused characters, artists, and vendors to do the same. Around 12 o’clock there was a break in the weather and Mulan’s Chinese New Year Procession brought Mulan and Mushu to the celebration. They were followed by a presentation by the Northern Shaolin Kung Fu Association. Mickey and Minnie were also on hand to meet and greet with guests.
When the weather was cooperating, guests could get their face painted or check out some of the different arts and craft type experiences that were available. Food could also be found both at the event location, Pacific Wharf, and also Downtown Disney.
Here is a list of food offerings for the Lunar New Year:
Celebrate with specialty foods at the following locations:
Disney California Adventure Park
- Lucky Fortune Cookery – pork spare riblets, chicken and vegetable pot stickers, edamame, ginger milk tea and almond cookies
- Boudin Bread Cart – “Year of the Snake” bread
- Pacific Wharf Café – “Year of the Snake” bread, Chinese chicken salad, pork bao roll, almond cookies and ginger milk tea
- Rita’s Baja Blenders – Tsing Tao Beer
- Pacific Palisades Coffee Cart – almond cookies and ginger milk tea
- San Francisco Cart – pork bao roll, almond cookies, ginger milk tea and contour beverages
Downtown Disney District
- Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen – tempura gulf shrimp skewers, red beans & rice salad, coconut ginger lime beurre blanc
- Tortilla Jo’s – shrimp sushi rolls with Guajillo chile pears, dragon beef tacos
- House of Blues Restaurant – spicy banger shrimp with Szechwan green bean salad
- La Brea Bakery Café – Asian salad, toasted sesame seed seared ahi tuna
- Rainforest Cafe – macadamia crusted tilapia and coconut shrimp
- Jamba Juice – matcha green tea blast smoothie
- Haagen Dazs – green tea ice cream
Downtown Disney is celebrating Lunar New Year with DJs, traditional dance groups (including the Dragon Dance), and special Lunar New Year merchandise.
The Lunar New Year will be celebrated in Disney California Adventure from 10 AM to 5 PM daily. Check with specific locations in Downtown Disney for specific times of events.
Latest posts by Mr. DAPs (see all)
- Star Wars Episode VIII Gets a Title! - January 23, 2017
- A Very Rainy Day at the Disneyland Resort - January 22, 2017
- Disneyland Resort’s World of Color Celebrates Lunar New Year With ‘Hurry Home – Lunar New Year Celebration’ - January 22, 2017