Marvel has an exclusive variant cover to their anniversary #1000 at the D23 Expo. Find out how to get one. There is also more information on all the festivities for the 80th anniversary, and a trailer for JJ Abrams run at Spider-Man.
MARVEL REVEALS LIMITED-EDITION MARVEL COMICS #1000 VARIANT FOR D23 EXPO 2019
Get an exclusive first look at the Marvel Comics #1000 D23 Expo variant cover on D23.com!
New York, NY—August 15, 2019 — As the world continues to celebrate Marvel’s 80th anniversary this summer, Marvel revealed an exclusive new MARVEL COMICS #1000 D23 Expo variant cover to honor its birthday on August 31, featuring Mickey Mouse alongside Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, drawn by legendary artist Humberto Ramos with colors by Edgar Delgado!
Exclusively revealed on D23.com, the limited-edition variant cover will be given away at D23 Expo 2019 to attendees at the MARVEL COMICS: Marvel 80thAnniversary panel on Saturday, August 24, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. PT at Stage 28. During the panel, MarvelEditor-in-Chief C.B. Cebulski and Executive Editor Tom Brevoort will take fans through the amazing, incredible, and uncanny history of Marvel Comics, looking back at the history of the Marvel Universe and honoring the iconic characters and timeless stories that have inspired fans all around the world.
MARVEL COMICS #1000—a massive, oversized, special edition book on sale August 28—will feature the greatest array of luminaries from both classic and current comic books (and beyond!), revealing a long-kept secret of the Marvel Universe and some startling discoveries along the way.
“Marvel Comics #1000 is a chance for 80 great creative teams to do a segment that encapsulates what they love about Marvel, the characters, the tone, the style, the flavor—what Marvel means to them. As a result, it’s a book that has something for just about everybody,” Brevoort told D23.com. “It’s as wide-ranging a project as there’s ever been. No other comic in the history of comic book publishing has had this many creators in a single project.”
“The book ended up as a mystery that segues into a party, and then rotates back to the mystery,” added Al Ewing, the writer behind the main through story of Marvel Comics #1000. “As a reader, you’re slowly lulled into a false sense of security, almost, and then we end by turning over a final card and showing you something big.”
To celebrate the birthday, participating comic shops will also be hosting Marvel birthday party events with a brand-new edition of the MARVEL UNIVERSE MAGAZINE available free to customers. This magazine will feature exclusive art and behind-the-scenes content for some of Marvel’s top comic releases in the fall.
D23 Expo—The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—will bring together all the worlds of Disney under one roof for three packed days of presentations, pavilions, experiences, concerts, sneak peeks, shopping, and more. The event provides fans with unprecedented access to Disney films, television, games, theme parks, and celebrities. For the latest D23 Expo 2019 news, visit D23expo.com. Presentations, talent, and schedule subject to change. To join the D23 Expo conversation, be sure to follow DisneyD23 on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube, and use the hashtag #D23Expo.
For 80 years, Marvel has reflected the world outside your window – inspiring millions of fans with iconic characters and timeless stories that brought the Marvel Universe to the forefront of pop culture today. Celebrate Marvel’s historic 80th Anniversary all year long with your favorite Marvel comics, games, shows, collectibles, fashion, and more! Visit marvel.com/marvel80 or follow #Marvel80 for more information.
MARVEL’S 80th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION CONTINUES THIS SUMMER!
New York, NY—August 12, 2019— With just weeks until Marvel kicks off its official birthday festivities, Marvel is excited to announce even more 80th anniversary celebrations with limited-time content with your favorite Marvel games; limited-time merchandise; and retailer events in honor of Marvel’s legacy!
Marvel announced plans to celebrate its birthday on August 31: the day Marvel Comics #1 gave the world its first look at the Marvel Universe. To celebrate the worldwide impact that followed, there will be activations and retailer events around the globe. Events include:
- D23 Expo(August 23-25) – Taking place at the Anaheim Convention Center, attendees can shop, snap Marvel-themed photos with friends, and discover hidden surprises around every corner in the Marvel section of the “Uptown Disney” booth on the show floor. Don’t miss Marvel’s exciting lineup of film, television, animation, and comic book guest appearances, panels, stage events, and more!
- Marvel Comics #1000 Releases (August 28) – Soon to be available at your local comic shop, don’t miss the historic debut of this massive, oversized special-edition book featuring luminaries from both classic and current comic books (and beyond!), revealing a long-kept secret of the Marvel Universe and some startling discoveries along the way.
- Marvel Birthday Celebration at Dragon Con (August 31) – Dragon Con and Marvel will be celebrating Marvel’s 80th anniversary this year on August 31, Marvel’s official birthday! Attendees can join the party during the annual Dragon Con Parade, on Dragon Con’s social media channels, and a cosplay meet-up complete with birthday cake provided by DecoPac and Kroger, candles, and photo opportunities!
- Commemorative Merchandise (August – December) – Fans will be able to get their hands on limited-time Marvel 80th anniversary apparel, accessories, collectibles, books and more from Hasbro, Funko, LootCrate, Diamond Select, Mattel, DecoPac, Mad Engine, Bioworld, C-Life, Citizen, Disney store|shopDisney and many more!
- Retail Activationsfor Marvel’s Birthday(August – December) – Visit retailers around the country including Amazon, Walmart, Target, Party City, Box Lunch, Hot Topic, Uniqlo, GameStop, FYE and more for in-store activations, new merchandise, special offers, and celebratory fanfare. On August 31, be sure to stop by your local participating FYE for an in-store Marvel birthday party celebration; Amazon for special items celebrating Marvel’s anniversary; participating comic shops for exclusive Marvel birthday party events and a free Marvel Universe Magazine (while supplies last); and Disney stores for in-store activities throughout the day. Disney stores will also launch a new product line this fall in stores and online at shopDisney.com.
- Marvel: Universe of Super Heroes! (ongoing) – Take a tour of the Marvel: Universe of Super Heroes! The exhibition, currently extending its run through September 11 at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, PA, showcases more than 300 artifacts from Marvel’s past and present. The exhibition will reopen on October 19 at the Telus World of Science Edmonton in Canada.
- Global Experiences(ongoing) – Look for Marvel 80th anniversary merchandise at pop-up shops throughout China, Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia. Also, keep an eye out for special events at Disney Parks & Resorts, Marvel’s Avengers S.T.A.T.I.O.N. locations and exciting displays and exhibits in Australia, Mexico and Brazil. And don’t miss the exhilarating Marvel Universe Live! show with Feld Entertainment, now touring internationally!
Throughout the month of August, Marvel fans will also be able to celebrate Marvel’s 80th anniversary through their favorite Marvel Games! Marvel will be collaborating with its partners to bring limited-time in-game activations to celebrate key characters, stories, costumes, and other extras from Marvel history in MARVEL Strike Force, MARVEL Future Fight, MARVEL Puzzle Quest, and MARVEL Contest of Champions.
Commemorative art – drawn exclusively by legendary comic book artist Adam Kubert to celebrate Marvel’s birthday – will be available as featured on select merchandise and t-shirts through the Marvel Design Vault on Amazon, shopDisney, and other retailers. Symbolizing decades of the Marvel Universe, Kubert’s art is the perfect way to celebrate the expansive roster of classic and iconic Marvel Super Heroes such as Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, Thor, Shuri, Wolverine, and many more.
For fans of Marvel’s animated series and family content, visit Marvel HQ to dive into decades of Marvel content! Find your favorite episodes of Marvel Mash-Ups including redubbed moments from Marvel Super Heroes, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, and more, along with more recent series like The Super Hero Squad Show, Ultimate Spider-Man, Marvel’s Avengers Assemble, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Marvel Rising, and Marvel Super Hero Adventures.
To learn more about Marvel’s Super Heroes and keep up with the ever-expanding Marvel Universe, pick up the new edition of DK’s best-selling Marvel Encyclopedia! And be sure to scoop up three brand new flavors from Ample Hills Creamery inspired by Black Panther, Captain America and Spider-Man – the perfect treat to celebrate this Marvel milestone and cool off this summer.
For 80 years, Marvel has reflected the world outside your window – inspiring millions of fans with iconic characters and timeless stories that brought the Marvel Universe to the forefront of pop culture today. Celebrate Marvel’s historic 80th Anniversary all year long with your favorite Marvel comics, games, shows, collectibles, fashion, and more!
Visit marvel.com/marvel80 or follow #Marvel80 for more information.
J.J. ABRAMS, THE MODERN MASTER OF MYSTERY, MAKES HIS MARK ON MARVEL IN THE SPIDER-MAN #1 TRAILER!
The All-Star team of J.J. Abrams, Henry Abrams, and Sara Pichelli assembles for this sensational series!
New York, NY— August 15, 2019 — J.J. Abrams takes the webbed wonder to new heights when he and his son Henry partner with legendary spider-artist Sara Pichelli for a Spider-Man story like you’ve never seen before! Cadaverous, a terrifying new villain, will force Spidey to make some of the hardest choices of his life. Can he protect MJ, Manhattan…or even himself? Check out this brand new trailer for SPIDER-MAN #1 featuring Executive Editor Nick Lowe and writers J.J. and Henry Abrams!
“Having these geniuses working together on Spider-Man, the greatest fictional character of all time, couldn’t be better,” Lowe exclaimed, a sentiment shared by the Abrams. “We knew [Sara Pichelli’s] stuff – she’s a genius,” J.J. added. “The fact that we got Sara to do this book was the luckiest gift of all time.”
Henry Abrams went on to shed more light on the creative team’s thinking behind the scenes. “Spider-Man in general has been one of the most interesting super hero characters to me – how when he gets stronger, his problems get bigger,” he said. “A large focus on our series was [Spider-Man] as a person and not just him as a mask. So how does he deal with these real issues? It’s been a pleasure exploring that.”
“Cadaverous is one of the most terrifying Spider-Man villains of all time – and that’s saying something,” Lowe warned. “Spidey has faced the Green Goblin, Carnage, Venom, and Cadaverous might be even scarier and a little bit grosser than any of them.”