The 2018 CHOC Walk season has officially begun. On Thursday night a group of influencers, media, dignitaries and the 2018 CHOC Walk Ambassadors met at the Disneyland Hotel for a special event kicking off the 2018 CHOC Walk season. This night previewed the events coming in 2018 ahead of the CHOC Walk on August 26. The night also featured some of the people behind CHOC Walk. This included this year’s CHOC Walk Ambassador Justin Helper and his family. The night also featured Henry DiCarlo of KTLA 5 Morning News, artist Jimmy Milligan, your own humble correspondent Mr. DAPs, and Minnie Mouse.
The theme of the evening was the heart and stories behind CHOC Walk. The stories that were told shared just how much of an impact CHOC Walk makes for the children who visit the Children’s Hospital of Orange County. They also showcased the impact that supporting CHOC has on the supporters.
The most heart-warming story of the night had to be focused on this year’s CHOC Walk Ambassador, Justin Helper. Justin was born with a life-threatening rare neurological condition called lissencephaly. This causes the brain’s surface to be smooth and leads to significant developmental delays. Most with this condition don’t survive even a year. Justin is now 11 years old and continues to fight his condition thanks to the support of the doctors and team at CHOC. Justin’s family first walked in the 2012 CHOC Walk and raised $1,500. By the 2017 CHOC Walk, they had nearly 400 walkers on their team and raised $51,000. This year they hope to have the biggest CHOC Walk team ever and are aiming to have nearly 800 people on their CHOC Walk team!
Henry DiCarlo shared how he and KTLA ended up partnered with CHOC Walk. He also shared about the true heroes (the Children of CHOC) of CHOC Walk and how much he loves to be a part of CHOC Walk. He also gave a tribute to Zach Abrams, Assistant Vice President, Special Events at CHOC. Zach then shared about the Ambassador Luau which is returning on August 25th at Splitsville at the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort. It will be a 1950’s themed luau with Jimmy Mulligan in attendance, some bowling, food, and maybe even Elvis!
I had the honor to share about how ROCK4CHOC came about last year after this specific event. I also shared about what the experience of partnering with CHOC has done for me and Team DAPS MAGIC through this process. It really is something that will change your heart.
Here is a look at all the exciting things coming up as part of the 2018 CHOC Walk in the Park.
- CHOC Cookie Day – Wednesday August 15, 2018 – 6:30 am – 10:00 pm
- Visit any participating Orange County, CA Chick-fil-A restaurant and purchase a Chocolate Chunk Cookie, Chocolate Chunk Cookies, or a Chocolate Chunk Cookies Tra. All proceeds will go to benefit CHOC Children’s Hospital. Visit www.chic-fil-a.com for nearest Orange County, CA restaurant.
- CHOC Day at Chick-fil-A – Saturday, June 30, 2018 – 6:30 am – 10:00 pm
- Visit Chick-filA- North Orange & let the cashier know you are there to support CHOC. Dine in, Drive thru, and Catering! A percentage of sales goes back to CHOC.
- Disney x Coach Special Edition Collection and Pop-Up: A Dark Fairy Tale
- Join special guest Paola Alberdi of Blank Iteinerary on Tuesday, May 15 from 6 pm – 8 pm at Coach South Coast Plaza for the unveiling of the Disney x Coach Special Edition Collection and Pop-Up: A Dark Fairy Tale. Coach will donate 20% of net sales from this event to CHOC.
- CHOC Walk in the Park Rock’N Luau – Saturday, August 25, 2018 at Splitsville Luxury Lanes at the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort. There will be kid’s activities, a raffle, live entertainment, bowling, a bowling tournament, Jimmy Mulligan, and more! Tickets will be available on July 1, 2018 at www.chocwalk.org. 100% of proceeds will benefit CHOC Children’s Hospital.
The 2018 CHOC Walk in the Park will be taking place on August 26, 2018 at the Disneyland Resort. If you would like to join or support Team DAPS MAGIC, please visit chocwalk.org/dapsmagic.