In Marvel’s Doctor Strange, Doctor Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) is about the most arrogant doctor imaginable. During surgery he plays name that tune. With a multitude of fancy watches to wear and a Ferrari to drive, Strange has it made. That is, until he has a car accident that renders his hands unusable and thereby robbing him of his ability to perform the surgeries that he is so famous for. In his desperation he looks for cures everywhere. When medicine does not succeed, he turns to alternative options and finds himself in Katmandu where he meets Master Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor), who takes him to the The Ancient One (Tilda Swinton). The Ancient One opens his eyes to a whole new universe of mysticism and possibility that defies imagination. As Strange grows his powers he discovers that this possibility isn’t all positive and soon finds himself facing off against Kaecilius (Mads Mikkelsen) in a desperate effort to save the world.
When I saw Marvel’s Doctor Strange in theaters, I saw it in 3-D. At home, I watched it in 2D and was pleased that it still looks very good. The movie in general is a bit darker than some other films I’ve reviewed. Because of that, I can’t say that the colors were bright and vibrant. However, the film looks really good and there really weren’t any distracting scenes that detracted from the movie. The sound was very well done and I actually enjoyed listening to it almost more than watching the movie. Doctor Strange is a movie where you can be glad you invested in a nice surround system.
There was a nice collection of extras included with Marvel’s Doctor Strange. As has been with past Marvel releases, they were very enjoyable to watch. It was very easy and enjoyable to watch them all in one sitting. Here is what they included:
- A Strange Transformation – Open your eye to a new dimension of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and see how the filmmakers brought one of comic books’ greatest characters to life.
- Strange Company – Find out what it’s like for the cast to work on a Marvel film, and how Director Scott Derrickson engineered one of the most ambitious, imaginative films ever.
- The Fabric of Reality – Take a closer look at the movie’s extraordinary sets, meticulously crafted costumes and amazingly detailed production elements.
- Across Time and Space – Explore the countless hours of dance and fight choreography the actors endured in preparation for their physically demanding roles.
- The Score-cerer Supreme – Join Composer Michael Giacchino and a full orchestra during live recording sessions, and experience the movie’s mind-bending music.
- Marvel Studios Phase 3 Exclusive Look – Get an early peek at Marvel’s spectacular upcoming films, including Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War.
- Team Thor: Part 2 – See more of the hilarious partnership between Thor and his roommate Darryl in this satirical short.
- Deleted Scenes
- Strange Meets Daniel Drumm
- Kaecilius Searches for Answers
- The Kamar-Taj Courtyard
- Making Contact
- Lost in Kathmandu
- Gag Reel
- Audio Commentary by Director Scott Derrickson
These bonus features are the types I wish were included in every release. Sometimes just the movie isn’t enough to validate buying a blu-ray or digital download. It all comes down to the bonus features. I was very glad to review these and highly suggest taking some time to enjoy these.
Marvel’s Doctor Strange is really a big leap into a much bigger universe for Marvel. It has a stellar cast and watching it again I found it to be very enjoyable. It keeps moving forward at a nice pace. And other than a reference at one point to the Avengers, it is pretty much a stand-alone film (not including the end titles clip). I also really liked that while it leaves the door open for future films, this film had a good ending to it. It didn’t feel like it was just the prelude to something else. Add to this solid movie a solid offering of bonus features and the whole package is a good value. It is easy to give a hat tip to Doctor Strange. I can’t wait to see more of him in future films!
DAPS MAGIC was given an experience or product free of charge to review that was used for this coverage. The opinions given in this review were that of the reviewer. There are no claims of being an expert. This is simply a review given with honest opinions.