Mr. DAPs Making Buñuelos Navideños with Chef Toby at the Disneyland Resort for Three Kings Day
The Disneyland Resort is celebrating Three Kings Day from January 2-6, 2015. There are quite a few different food offerings (as can be read about here) one of which is the Buñuelos Navideños. I was able to learn how to make this festive treat from Chef Toby of the Disneyland Resort.
Not only did Chef Toby teach me how to make this but he also shared the recipe so now you can watch our video and then make it at home with your family.
Buñuelos Navideños – Geek Eats Recipe
- Vegetable, canola, or corn oil for frying
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- Fill a heavy-bottomed deep sauté pan with enough oil to reach 1 inch up sides. Heat oil over medium-high heat to 350°F. If you don’t have a deep-fry thermometer, us a a piece of tortilla to test oil, tortilla should lightly brown after about 1 ½ to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line 2 baking sheets with paper towels; set aside. Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large, shallow dish; set aside.
- Pierce each tortilla several times with the tines of a fork. This will help prevent large bubbles from forming on the tortillas while frying.
- Using tongs, slowly lower 1 tortilla into hot oil. Fry 30 seconds to 1 minute, until light golden brown. Gently flip tortilla over and fry on second side 30 second to 1 minute, until lightly golden brown.
- Using tongs, lift fried tortilla from oil and hold vertically over pan to allow excess oil to drain. Transfer tortilla to baking sheet lined with paper towels; drain 1 minute, then dip into sugar-cinnamon mixture until well coated, shaking off excess.
- Place finished buñuelos on second baking sheet and repeat process with remaining tortillas. Serve immediately.
This is a wonderful starter recipe that can have many different toppings added. The recipe as given by Disneyland gives suggestions of:
Fresh Whipped Cream (as I did in the interview)
Dulce de Leche
Apple Pie Filling
As was done in the interview, cookie cutters can also be used to make the shape of the tortilla more fun before frying. Disney cookie cutters can be purchased in the Emporium or Candy Palace at Disneyland. In Disney California Adventure they can be found at the Trolley Treats store on Buena Vista Street. World of Disney in the Downtown Disney District also sells Disney cookie cutters.
**This recipe is the property of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc, and may not be reproduced without express permission**
This is a fun recipe that can be a family project. Obviously have adults do the hot oil parts but children can have fun with cutting out the tortillas and also adding the sweet factors after they have been fried. This is a quick and easy recipe that I can personally attest to being quite delicious. A version of it can be purchased in the Paradise Gardens during Three Kings Day at the Disneyland Resort. Three Kings Day will be celebrated from January 2-6, 2015. This video was shot in collaboration with Babes in Disneyland. Make sure and visit there to read my guests posts about this event as well!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see photos of how they turn out and also hear about your experience!
Make it a GREAT day!