A few details are starting to emerge about the future of Star Trek. While the geek world is focused on the upcoming Star Wars movies, it is easy to forget that the Star Trek franchise has another movie coming out that happens to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the franchise. In a recent interview, director Bob Orci revealed a little nugget about the next Star Trek (3rd or really 13th if you want to be technical).
Here is what he had to say:
In [Into Darkness] they set out finally where the original series started. The first two films – especially the 2009 [Star Trek] – was an origin story. It was about them coming together. So they weren’t the characters they were in the original series. They were growing into them and that continues on in the second movie. So in this movie they are closer than they are to the original series characters that you have ever seen. They have set off on their five-year mission. So their adventure is going to be in deep space.
So to wrap it up, here is what we know about the next Star Trek flick:
- Bob Orci will be directing it.
- Bob Orci will be joined by J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay for the writing duties.
- Star Trek 3 will be released in 2016.
- Star Trek 3 will be part of the original 5 year mission and heading into deep space.
This isn’t a ton of new information but it is a decent update on where Star Trek is and where it is going. The next movie is still two years out and without a confirmed or specific release date, who knows what could happen. I would guess it is safe to say that Bob Orci has listened to the long time Trekkies and is attempting to craft a movie that will make new and old fans happier this time around (some long time Trekkies haven’t approved of the direction of the last two films). Only time will tell on that guess though.
What do you think of what you know so far from this movie? Is Bob Orci the right guy for the job? Are you excited for the next Star Trek movie?
Make it a GREAT day!
- Mr. DAPs
Latest posts by Mr. DAPs (see all)
- Disneyland Celebrates 40 Years of Star Wars With New Merchandise Offerings - April 28, 2017
- Experience ‘The Music of Pixar LIVE!’ At Disney’s Hollywood Studios - April 28, 2017
- Jeff Goldblum Joins Jurassic World Sequel Cast - April 27, 2017