Starting on December 12, guests who visit the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, California will be able to experience the Walt Disney Archives’ newest exhibit, All That Glitters: The Crown Jewels of Walt Disney Archives. With around 200 pieces, this exhibit looks at many special treasures found in the Walt Disney Archives. This includes crowns, watches, necklaces, earrings, tiaras, a lamp, and so much more! These items come from all across The Walt Disney Company and include things found in Disney, Marvel, 20th Century, and even Star Wars movies.
The exhibit includes treasures found in so many different films from across Disney’s vast library of movies. The oldest piece is the crown from the King of the Leprechauns in Darbo O’Gill and The Little People. In the same case, there are also crowns from Muppets Most Wanted, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Loki. In another room, the lamp from Disney’s live-action Aladdin can be found. Enchanted fans will be delighted to discover that Giselle’s tiara is on hand. In another part of the exhibit the Medal of Yavin that was given to Chewbacca in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker can be found and so can The Heart of the Sea from Titanic. Fans of The Princess Diaries will also be happy to see how well represented those films are as well.
Work began on this exhibit over a year ago. Ideas were pitched for what this exhibit could be and with this concept being the winner. With the concept decided on, the work began as Walt Disney Archives sifted through its collections to narrow it down to what ended up being shown at the Bowers Museum.
There are three main sections to All That Glitters: The Crown Jewels of Walt Disney Archives. Each section explores a different way in which jewelry is used to tell stories.
- Jewelry Informs Character – This section explains what wearable accessories tells the viewer about different characters.
- Feature Vault – This section showcases many of the most prized pieces of jewelry and accessories from the Walt Disney Archives.
- Reflections on Reality – This section shows many tie earrings, cuff links, rings, tie pins, and more. It then connects them with the Disney Parks and films that they originated in.
Outside of the exhibit in the gift shop, there also can be found some Disney merchandise that is related to the exhibit, Walt Disney Archives, or just Disney in general.
During the time that All That Glitters: The Crown Jewels of Walt Disney Archives is at the Bowers Museum, there will be some special events offered. Highlights of these events include:
- January 29: Anatomy of the White Witch with Isis Mussenden, award-winning costume designer for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005) – Tickets
- March 5: The Women Artists of Disney – A Fusion of Fine Art & Animation: Presentation & Book Signing with Mindy Johnson – Tickets
- May 20: Outdoor film screenings of The Princess Diaries Tickets
- June 17: The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement Tickets
Click here for more details about the exhibitions, tickets, and other related events.
All That Glitters: The Crown Jewels of Walt Disney Archives officially opens to the public on December 12 at 10:00 AM. Tickets will be sold at a reduced capacity on an hourly basis. There will be a panel discussion with the Director of the Walt Disney Archives, Becky Cline, and friends at 1:30 PM in the Norma Kershaw Auditorium. Tickets and details can be found at Bowers.org.
Here is a pictorial look at All That Glitters: The Crown Jewels of Walt Disney Archives:
More details about All That Glitters: The Crown Jewels of Walt Disney Archives can be found on the Bowers Museum website at Bowers.org. This exhibit runs through June 19, 2022.