Now that the Disney College Program is coming back, it’s time to make some changes! This weekend, Disney announced the newest change to the housing situation. When participants in the program choose their housing, they will now have the option of gender-neutral housing!
This new option will allow for all participants to choose gender-neutral living options, based on availability. If a participant does not note that they want to live in the neutral housing, they will not be placed there. Disney has also noted that this option is not only available to members of the LGBTQ+ community. Anyone who wants to be placed in a living situation regardless of gender may mark the option for gender-neutral apartments. You can read Disney’s full excerpt from the DCP website below!
What is gender-neutral housing?
- Gender-neutral housing refers to a housing option in which program participants are given the opportunity to share their apartment with other participants, regardless of their gender.
- Participants who select this option would still be given the opportunity to link with a roommate, if available, as well as select apartment preferences.
- Gender-neutral apartments are based on availability.
Yes, I am interested. How do I select gender-neutral housing?
- Any participant may request gender-neutral housing during DORMS registration.
- Please note that gender-neutral housing is available in all styles of apartments.
How are the rooms assigned in a gender-neutral apartment?
- Your apartment and bedroom will be assigned for you. If offered, if you have selected a roommate link, you will be assigned a room together.
Is gender-neutral housing only for participants who are members of the LGBTQ+ community?
- No. Gender-neutral housing is for anyone who wants to live with people with whom they feel comfortable, no matter their gender.
- Participants who elect this option must be open to living with a person of any gender.
Can students be randomly assigned to a room of the opposite gender?
- Participants will not automatically be placed in a gender-neutral apartment unless they indicated that they would be comfortable residing in gender-neutral living spaces.
- If there is a vacancy in the apartment, it will only be filled by a participant who has selected gender-neutral housing.
I am personally so excited to see this change coming to life in the Disney College Program. This is truly the fifth key, inclusion! This will be a new way for cast members to live their authentic lives in every moment of their time with the Walt Disney Company!
For all future updates to the Disney College Program, be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter!