There are so many things to do in Southern California that cost lots of money. However, there is a weekly offering in Los Angeles that is both free and fun! DANCE DTLA is a free night of dancing that is offered every Friday night for ten weeks in Los Angeles by The Music Center. In its 15th season, DANCE DTLA offers evenings full of fun for all!
Each week, a different style of dance is taught and experienced during the ten weeks of DANCE DTLA. The summer season began on June 21st and will continue through August 30th. The DAPS MAGIC team had the honor of visiting during the July 5th evening at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. While learning to dance, they also hosted Music Center LA’s Instastory on their Instagram.
For this evening the evening was built around learning to Line Dance and also the Two Step. The night was a blast and accessible to all ages. The evening began with basic lessons that were added on to as the night progressed. All different levels of experience fit in with the night as different dances were taught. A preview of the following week (in this case hip hop) also was included. All in all, the night was a blast!
Each evening of dancing runs from 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM and admission is free. There are beverages available for purchase at the events as well.
Here is a look at the entire lineup of what DANCE DTLA has to (and did) offer in the summer of 2019:
- June 21: Bollywood at Grand Park Performance Lawn
- June 28: Bachata at Grand Park Event Lawn
- July 5: Line Dance & Two Step at The Music Center’s Walt Disney Concert Hall (BP Hall)
- July 12: Hip-Hop at Grand Park Performance Lawn
- July 19: Argentine Tango at Grand Park Olive Court
- July 26: Disco at Grand Park Event Lawn
- August 2: K-pop at Grand Park Performance Lawn
- August 9: Salsa at The Music Center Plaza – Sneak peek
- August 16: Motown/Funk at The Music Center Plaza – Sneak peek
- August 30*: Cumbia at The Music Center Plaza – Plaza Grand Opening Weekend Celebration
- Extended hours to midnight
DANCE DTLA is a wonderful way to spend a Friday night and also learn a new dance (or just have fun with one you already know). The DAPS MAGIC team had a blast getting to participate and have shared a video of the evening below. To see the video with ALL (yes, all) of Mr. DAPs’ dancing, check out our Patreon page and become DAPS MAGIC MAKER. If you visit an evening (or more) of DANCE DTLA, make sure to use the hashtag #DANCETLA and also #DAPSMAGICLIVE on twitter or Instagram to get the attention of both The Music Center’s social media team, but also DAPS MAGIC’s. We would love to share your experience as well! More information about DANCE DTLA can be found at musiccenter.org/danceDTLA.
What form of dance would you most like to learn at DANCE DTLA? What would you like to see Mr. DAPs attempt to learn the most? Share your thoughts in the comments below.