What time is it? Time to see High School Musical come back to our screens! We are thrilled to see the Wildcats come back to East High in High School Musical: The Musical: The Series when it hits the Disney+ streaming service!
Now it’s time to meet our newest stars! Joining previously announced star Joshua Bassett (Stuck in the Middle) are cast members Olivia Rodrigo (Bizaardvark), Kate Reinders (Modern Family), Sofia Wylie (Andi Mack), Matt Cornett (Bella and the Bulldogs), Dara Reneé (Freaky Friday), Julia Lester (Mom), Frankie Rodriguez (Modern Family), Larry Saperstein (Fan Girl), and Mark St. Cyr (Doomsday).
This ten-episode series takes place exactly 15 years after the original High School Musical! It follows a group of students rehearsing for their school’s grand opening night. As it happens in most productions, showmances emerge, friendships are tested, and frenemies get tough!
Brand-new songs and acoustic “rehearsal-room” reinterpretations of songs from the original High School Musical provide the soundtrack, with Zach Woodlee (Glee, Dumplin’) choreographing the numbers. The series is developed and executive produced by Tim Federle (Ferdinand) with showrunner and executive producer Oliver Goldstick (Pretty Little Liars); Bill Borden and Barry Rosenbush, from the original High School Musical trilogy, are also executive producers. Tamra Davis (Empire, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) is directing the first three episodes.
Meet the Characters
- High school junior Ricky (Bassett) is a sarcastic yet charismatic skater who sets out to prove himself to his ex-girlfriend Nini—by auditioning to star opposite her in a musical.
- Nini (Rodrigo) found her voice at summer theater camp—along with a new boyfriend. Fiercely loyal to her two moms, she’s a shining star—even if she doesn’t always think so.
- Miss Jenn (Reinders) is a new drama teacher who believes musicals can save lives. She may experience imposter syndrome, but she’d do anything for her students.
- A transfer student with a secret past, Gina (Wylie) is a theater veteran. Ambitious and entitled, she’s keen to show Miss Jenn she shouldn’t have been cast as an understudy.
- Nini’s new love interest E.J. (Cornett) is the completely confident son of two corporate lawyers, who secretly feels the pressure of living up to his picture-perfect social media persona. As co-captain of the water polo team, senior class treasurer, and trust fund baby, E.J. is used to getting what he wants—like the lead in role in the school musical.
- Kourtney (Reneé) is obsessed with makeup tutorials and feminism in equal measure. Nini’s ride-or-die BFF, Kourtney also works on the costume crew of High School Musical.
- E.J.’s cousin Ashlyn (Lester) is an “old soul” who worships Sara Bareilles—so much that she secretly dreams of following in her idol’s footsteps to become a songwriter herself.
- As captain of the color guard and student choreographer, Carlos (Rodriguez) thinks of Miss Jenn as a peer. In fact, he eats lunch in her office and has been drinking espresso since third grade. And of course, Carlos already has his Tony Awards® speech memorized.
- Big Red (Saperstein) is the quintessential skater boy, always fuzzy and sleep-deprived. He’s weirdly devastated by Ricky and Nini’s split, as he’s been their third wheel forever.
- East High’s somewhat stiff S.T.E.M. teacher Mr. Mazzara (St. Cyr) believes in preparing students for the future, which leads him to butt heads with the daydreaming Miss Jenn.