One of my new favorite foods has to be Poke! I was introduced to it earlier this year by Caitie Bear and was instantly hooked. Aulani, in Hawaii, has a Tuna Poke with Avacado Mousse that they are sharing the recipe for. Seeing that it is from Hawaii, this just has to be good! I really would like to go, visit, and taste this dish on property. Since I currently don’t have any Hawaii vacations on my calendar, I will have to stick with attempting this recipe.
Poke means “cut piece” or “small piece.” It is raw fish and is generally served as an appetizer in Hawaii. Quite often it is made with aku (oily tuna), he’e (octopus), or the increasingly popular yellowfin tuna. As it has become more popular poke has also been made with salmon or other shellfish and then seasoned with “poke” seasonings.
This recipe comes from the chef’s at Aulani and also includes a video that was originally shared on the Disney Parks Blog. Try it out and let us know what you think!
Geek Eats: Tuna Poke with Avocado Mousse Recipe at Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons yuzu juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 2 pounds fresh sushi-grade tuna, cubed
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
FOR TUNA POKE:
- Whisk together soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, yuzu juice, lime juice, garlic, sesame seeds, vinegar, wasabi powder, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add tuna to mixture and toss to coat. Season with pepper, to taste. Refrigerate 5 to 10 minutes.
FOR AVOCADO MOUSSE:
- Chop avocados into large pieces and place in a blender. Add heavy cream and blend until smooth.
- Season with lime juice, salt, and white pepper, to taste.
- Place avocado mousse in a piping bag. Pipe 3 parallel lines of avocado mousse in the center of each plate.
- Divide tuna poke evenly among six 2.5-inch square molds. Place on top of the avocado mousse.
- Serve with rice chips.
© 2021 dapsmagic.com
What did you think of this recipe? Let us know in the comments below!