Are you planning a magical trip to Disneyland (or Disney California Adventure), only to find rain clouds threatening to dampen your spirits? Don’t worry! A little rain shouldn’t keep you from experiencing the magic of the Happiest Place on Earth. In fact, with a bit of preparation and the right mindset, it can be a fantastic time at Disneyland even when the skies are gray. Here’s the ultimate guide to making the most of a rainy Disneyland adventure.
1. Embrace the Rain Gear: Pack ponchos, comfortable waterproof shoes/boots, and umbrellas to stay dry and comfortable throughout the day. You’ll find ponchos available for purchase at the park, but bringing one from home can save money and ensure you’re prepared.
2. Arrive Early: Rainy days often mean lighter crowds, so take advantage by arriving at the park early. You’ll have a better chance of enjoying popular attractions without the usual long lines (sometimes the reservation system has changed this).
3. Plan Indoor Activities: Disneyland offers a plethora of indoor attractions and shows, making it a great opportunity to experience entertainment without getting wet. From classics like Pirates of the Caribbean or the Disneyland Railroad, to newer options like Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
4. Prioritize Covered Queues: When choosing which attractions to visit, opt for those with covered or indoor queues. This will give you shelter while waiting in line, minimizing your exposure to the rain. The new Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway in Mickey’s Toontown is a great example of this!
5. Stay Hydrated and Warm: Even in the rain, it’s essential to stay hydrated. Keep a refillable water bottle with you and enjoy warm beverages like hot cocoa or coffee to keep cozy. Seek out covered seating areas to take a break and enjoy your drinks.
6. Enjoy Character Meet-and-Greets: Some character meet-and-greet locations are indoors, providing a fantastic chance to interact with your favorite Disney characters while staying dry. Sometimes on Main Street, USA, characters are also moved indoors at the Opera House on rainy days as well. Look at the Disneyland app to see where characters are located and then ask a Cast Member if the location is outdoors if the character is in an alternative location that is dryer.
7. Savor Rainy Day Treats: Embrace the theme by indulging in rainy day treats. Look for comfort foods like warm churros, hot pretzels, and savory soups that are perfect for rainy weather. The Golden Horsehoe Saloon is a great day to get a rainy day treat and enjoy listening to a live piano player at Disneyland. In Disney California Adventure, stop by Flo’s V8-Cafe!
8. Capture the Magic: Rain can add a unique and whimsical touch to your photos. Take advantage of the reflections on the wet ground and the glistening lights to capture stunning, one-of-a-kind memories. This is definitely a favorite of the Daps Magic team!
9. Adjust Expectations: Be prepared for some rides or outdoor attractions to close due to weather conditions. While it can be disappointing, remember that safety is a top priority, and there’s still plenty to enjoy indoors. And who doesn’t love a rainy day cavalcade!?
10. Stay Positive and Flexible: Above all, maintain a positive attitude and stay flexible with your plans. Rainy days can create unexpected moments of magic and memories that you might not experience on a typical sunny day. And always remember, keep kind.
Rainy days at Disneyland can offer a unique and charming experience that’s different from the usual bustling crowds. With the right gear, a positive attitude, and a willingness to adapt, unforgettable memories can be made while exploring and experiencing the magic of Disneyland in the rain. Don’t let a little rain dampen your spirits – let it enhance your adventure! Rainy days have created some favorite memories for the Daps Magic team and we hope it will for you too!