Sometimes you stumble on dishes that become instant favorites. For me, that happened this week while sheltering in place and cooking dinner for myself. As I was looking around the kitchen thinking of things I could make ahead of watching the Phat Cat Swing live Instagram show, I found myself inspired. I realized I had pulled pork I had made in the instant pot a couple of nights before and also the ingredients needed to make homemade macaroni and cheese. Then I vaguely remember seeing somewhere pulled pork on top of macaroni and cheese somewhere. Thus, my dinner was born.
As is so often the case, I posted my cooking progress on my Instagram as is often the case. While I often get a lot of responses on my cooking adventures, this recipe definitely got much more. Many people were asking for the recipe. While I basically just threw stuff together off the top of my head, I more or less know what I did and how much so today I will share that with you! I hope you enjoy! Please let me know how it turned out and any tweaks you made and I will add them into the notes!
Mr. DAPs' Mac n' Cheese with Pulled Pork Recipe - GEEK EATS
Mac n' Cheese
- 1 box/bag of elbow macaroni (or pasta of choice, I've used penne in the past as well)
- 1/4 cup butter (can use less if attempting to somehow be healthier)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or cheese of choice)
- 3 lbs boneless pork roast (cut into 3-4 inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (or a little more)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups barbecue sauce (divided) - get the good stuff!
- 1/1/4 beef broth
Pulled Pork - Do First!
- Put pork in a bowl.
- Season with brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne.
- Mix seasoning with the pork.
- Turn on Instant Pot to sauté and put two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, brown half of the pork cubes on each side (about five minutes per side).
- Brown the other half of the pork cubes.
- Pull pork from Instant Pot and set aside.
- While browning the pork, mix together apple cider vinegar, one cup of the barbecue sauce, the hot pepper sauce, and one cup of beef broth.
- Turn Instant Pot off and deglaze bottom with 1/4 cup of beef broth with wooden spoon (scrape clean the bottom of the pot).
- Add the meat and barbecue sauce mix to Instant Pot.
- Close lid and seal.
- Cook on high pressure for 40 minutes.
- Once done, let pressure release for 10 minutes then do a quick release.
- Remove the meat from the Instant Pot and shred.
- Add remaining cup of barbecue sauce.
- Put mixture in bowl if Mac n' Cheese isn't read.
Macaroni n' Cheese
- Boil macaroni according to directions.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain.
- Return pasta to the pot.
- Add 1/4 cup butter.
- Add cup milk.
- Add 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir until melted and creamy.
- Place Macaroni n' Cheese in bowl.
- Put pulled pork over the Macaroni n' Cheese.