Yesterday, we shared a recipe for Marinated Lamb Chops from the Disney Cruise Line. Today, we continue sharing classic recipes from the Disney Cruise line with a recipe for Osso Bucco with Saffron Risotto. This delicious recipe can recreate a past Disney Cruise Line culinary experience in the comfort of your own home. It also can create a wonderful culinary adventure for all you home cooks! So, grab your apron and chef’s hat and let’s make some Osso Bucco with Saffron Risotto!
Osso Bucco with Saffron Risotto – GEEK EATS Disney Cruise Line Recipe
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 center-cut veal shanks
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (such as Merlot)
- 4 cups veal stock*
- 1 (14-ounce) can peeled plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- *Cook’s Note: If you cannot find veal stock, you may substitute half beef stock and half chicken stock.
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 4 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Red Wine Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1/2 large carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 leek, finely diced
- 1 1/4 cups red wine
- 2 cups reserved Osso Bucco cooking liquid
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1. Bring vegetable stock to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and keep warm on stove.
- 2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large, deep sauté pan or stockpot over medium heat. Add shallots, cooking until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- 3. Add rice, stirring to coat in butter. Cook until rice turns milky white and opaque, and just begins to stick to bottom of pan.
- 4. Add wine and brandy, and stir 2 minutes, until liquid is almost absorbed. Crumble saffron into pan, stirring to combine.
- 5. Ladle about 1 cup simmering stock into rice. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring often, until stock is almost completely absorbed. Continue adding stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring gently until almost all broth is absorbed before adding next cup. Add stock until rice is creamy and cooked through.
- 6. Stir in mascarpone, cream, and Parmesan; season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
For osso bucco:
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2. Heat oil in a heavy stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season shanks with salt and pepper; working in batches to avoid crowding pan, add shanks to pan. Sear shanks until golden brown, then transfer to a plate and set aside.
- 3. Add garlic, carrots, celery, and onion to pan, adding additional oil if needed; cook, stirring often, until softened.
- 4. Add wine and tomatoes to pan, stirring until wine is reduced by two-thirds. Add shanks back to pan; pour stock to cover shanks by three-quarters.
- 5. Cover pan and place in oven. Cook 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until shanks are very tender.
- 6. Remove shanks from cooking liquid; strain cooking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve and set aside.
For red wine sauce:
- 1. Heat oil in a large, deep sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots, celery, carrot, and leek. Cook until vegetables begin to brown.
- 2. Add wine and cook until almost completely reduced. Add strained cooking liquid and simmer until reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Strain sauce through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring until completely combined
- Spoon risotto in the center of a dish; place a shank over risotto. Top with gremolata and drizzle with red wine sauce.
How did this turn out for you? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below!