This weekend the weather is expected to be quite warm around the Disneyland Resort. Temperatures should be in the mid to upper nineties throughout the weekend. Couple this with the fact that there is quite a bit of cement around Disneyland and Disney California Adventure; guests can expect to be hot this weekend.
Tips for Surviving Disneyland in the Heat
Being hot isn’t just uncomfortable, it can also be dangerous. Here are a few tips to make sure that the heat does not turn a Disneyland trip into a trip to visit first aid.
- Drink Plenty of Fluids – If you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated so don’t wait until you are thirsty to get a drink. Drink two to four glasses of water if you are keeping active (aka walking around a resort) per hour. Avoid sugary or alcoholic drinks as they actually cause you to lose fluids. Also, very cold drinks could lead to stomach cramps.
- Eat – Remember to eat! You may not feel hungry but your body still needs fuel! When it is hot the body tends to sweat out a lot of salt… probably should get some back somehow so you don’t run out of gas in the middle of Cars Land. Eat light, not heavy, meals and keep your engine running!
- Dress Appropriately – If it is going to be hot, dress like it is going to be hot. When temperatures are near or above the three digit mark, set fashion aside and dress to survive the heat. Wear loose fitting, light colored, sun blocking clothing. A wide brimmed hat is probably a smart idea. Sunglasses are also smart.
- Always Wear Sunscreen – This is just common sense. Wear a strong sunscreen and avoid the pain of a sunburn. Look for a sunscreen that says “broad spectrum” or “UVA/UVB protection” and then apply as often as the directions call for. It should be, at minimum, 15 SPF or higher.
- Don’t Overexert – As much as an experience at Disneyland is based on how many attractions are experienced, the day will be much more fun if everyone stays healthy. Recognize that the heat wears people down and dehydrates them so don’t push too hard.
- Cool Off – Why stay out in the heat all day? Go sit in Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, or Muppetvision 3D and cool off. Other attraction to cool off include: Fantasyland dark rides, Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Captain EO, Monsters Inc., Soarin’ Over California, Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular, It’s a Small World, Tiki Room, Innoventions, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters, and the Golden Horseshoe are a few places to cool off. If the cooling off place involves a long line… might not be such a smart idea. Also, there are some beautiful trees throughout the Disneyland Resort, enjoy their gift of shade!
- Allow for Adjustment – Recognize that going from an extremely cool air conditioned building to extreme heat will have an effect on your body…. as will the opposite. Take it easy so as not to shock yourself too much!
- Buddy System – Have a buddy and watch out for them. Hopefully they will do the same. Then if someone starts acting loopier than normal, get them into a cool place and get them hydrated! Take care of each other and keep each other accountable on staying hydrated and healthy using the above tips!
These are just a few ideas for surviving the heat. Disneyland will be very warm this weekend so be safe and have fun using these tips!