Five-Year Expansion Highlighted by New Attractions, Hotel Renovations and Grand Reopening of Disney California Adventure Park with Cars Land and Buena Vista Street
ANAHEIM, Calif. – From 2007-2012, the Disneyland Resort has been expanding and evolving, paving the road to more fun and more memory-making for guests at this world-class, multiday vacation destination. The thrilling, five-year journey has been filled with magical innovation, including new attractions, shows, parades and firework spectaculars at the two theme parks, stunning renovations at the three resort hotels, and exciting new locations and experiences at Downtown Disney.
The five-year expansion at Disney California Adventure Park has brought more Disney magic and storytelling into the park, leading guests along Buena Vista Street to the Carthay Circle Theatre, and down Route 66 into the immersive storytelling of a whole new land – the 12-acre Cars Land.
On Oct. 17, Disneyland Resort announces expansion plans for Disney California Adventure, revealing some of the fun, upcoming additions: Toy Story Mania!, “World of Color,” The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, Carthay Circle Theatre, Cars Land and Radiator Springs Racers. (Additions noted below are at Disney California Adventure, except as noted.)
Toy Story Mania! opens on Paradise Pier at Disney California Adventure. The interactive, multiplayer game is an instant hit with guests who vie for the highest scores.
Debuts in 2008:
- Toy Story Mania!
- “Pixar Play Parade”
- New shows at “Playhouse Disney - Live on Stage!”
- Innoventions Dream Home (Disneyland Park)
- Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough (Disneyland)
- Mark VII Monorail
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa completes an expansion with 203 new guest rooms, a new pool and 50 two-bedroom equivalent Disney Vacation Club villas, the first Disney Vacation Club property on the West Coast.
Debuts in 2009:
- “Magical” fireworks spectacular (Disneyland)
- Mickey’s Fun Wheel
- Blue Sky Cellar
- Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa expansion
- First Disney Vacation Club villas on the West Coast
- Pixie Hollow (Disneyland)
- Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy (Disneyland)
- Ridemakerz (Downtown Disney)
- D Street (Downtown Disney)
“World of Color” opens to rave reviews and enthusiastic crowds. The breathtaking, nighttime spectacular weaves water, color, fire and light into a kaleidoscope of fantasy and imagination. Work on Cars Land reaches a construction milestone with the “topping out” of the Ornament Valley Mountain Range.
Debuts in 2010:
- “World of Color”
- Silly Symphony Swings
- Games of the Boardwalk
- Glow Fest (nighttime, summer party for guests of all ages)
- ElectTRONica (nighttime party with dancing and games replaces Glow Fest in October)
The Little Mermaid ~Ariel’s Undersea Adventure opens to give Disney California Adventure a classic dark-ride attraction. At Disneyland, guests now enjoy more than 50 different adventures at Star Tours – The Adventures Continue.
Debuts in 2011:
- The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
- Goofy’s Sky School
- “Phineas and Ferb Rockin’ Rollin’ Dance Party”
- Paradise Garden Grill and Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta
- New character shows at “Disney Junior – Live on Stage!”
- “Mickey’s Soundsational Parade” (Disneyland)
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue (Disneyland)
- Disneyland Hotel Renovation
- -Themed suites
- -New pool and water play area
- -Tangaroa Terrace restaurant and Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar
- Sanuk (Downtown Disney)
Cars Land, Buena Vista Street and Carthay Circle Theatre open June 15, part of the grand reopening of Disney California Adventure, now with eight themed lands. Guests are immersed in the story of the Disney●Pixar film “Cars” as they step into the town of Radiator Springs. Buena Vista Street offers a nostalgic step back in time to 1920s Los Angeles, with the Red Car Trolley, Carthay Circle Theatre and a tribute to Walt Disney.
Disneyland guests enjoy changes and enhancements along Main Street, U.S.A., including the opening of Jolly Holiday Bakery Café, filled with carefree scenes from the beloved movie, “Mary Poppins.” Other shops along Main Street, U.S.A. are also refreshed and the classic Matterhorn mountain glistens with new paint as riders enjoy new bobsleds. Also in 2012, Downtown Disney adds the WonderGround Gallery and Earl of Sandwich (late summer 2012) to its array of shops and restaurants.
Debuts in 2012
- Cars Land
- -Radiator Springs Racers
- -Luigi’s Flying Tires
- -Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree
- -Flo’s V8 Café
- -Cozy Cone Motel (food location)
- -Fillmore’s Taste-In (food location)
- -Radiator Springs Curios (merchandise)
- -Sarge’s Surplus Hut (merchandise)
- -Ramone’s House of Body Art (merchandise)
- Buena Vista Street
- -Red Car Trolley
- -Carthay Circle Restaurant and Lounge
- -Clarabelle’s Hand-Scooped Ice Cream
- -Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Café
- -Mortimers Market (food location)
- -Trolley Treats (food location)
- -Atwater Ink & Paint (merchandise)
- -Big Top Toys (merchandise)
- -Elias & Co. (merchandise)
- -Los Feliz Five & Dime (merchandise)
- -Julius Katz & Sons (merchandise)
- -Oswald’s (merchandise)
- Mad T Party
- “Dancin’ with Disney” interactive character show
- Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop
- Jolly Holiday Bakery Café (Disneyland)
- Meet and Greet with Merida from Disney●Pixar film “Brave” (Disneyland)
- WonderGround Gallery (Downtown Disney)
- Earl of Sandwich (opens late summer, Downtown Disney)
- La Brea Bakery expansion (Downtown Disney)
- LEGO Store, newly remodeled (Downtown Disney)
- “World of Color” new segment from Disney●Pixar film “Brave” and daytime fountain show
About the Disneyland Resort
The Disneyland Resort features two spectacular theme parks – Disneyland (the original Disney theme park) and Disney California Adventure Park – plus three hotels and the Downtown Disney District, comprised of unique dining, entertainment and shopping experiences. The Resort’s hotels are the luxurious, 948-room Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, which also features 50 two-bedroom equivalent DVC units; the magical, newly renovated, 969-room Disneyland Hotel – both AAA Four Diamond properties – and the 481-room Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel with its “day-at-the-beach” fun. For information on attractions and vacations at Disneyland Resort, visitwww.disneyland.com, call (866) 43-DISNEY or contact local travel agents.