For nearly four decades Star Wars fans have cheered on and loved Star Wars: A New Hope. Princess Leia desperately pleads for Obi Wan Kenobi to help as he is their only hope. The hope came from the plans delivered by Leia. Now Rogue One: A Star Wars Story shares how those plans were acquired and given to the Princess Leia. This is the story of Jyn Erso and how she helped save the Rebellion.
The quality for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was absolutely beautiful. The effects are a wonderful blend of both practical and digital effects. The recreation of classic Star Wars scenes was a wonderful connection as were the incorporation of classic Star Wars characters. The sound effects and soundtrack just added to the quality of this film. All this to say, this movie easily meets the quality standards associated with Star Wars and it is very enjoyable to watch.
If I wasn’t already a fan of Garett Edwards before, I most certainly am now after watching the bonus features. The extras included with Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was a solid collection of extras. I definitely found myself wanting more when they were done but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I also found myself ready to re-watch the film after watching the extras. The extras included the following:
- A Rogue Idea – Hear how ILM’s John Knoll came up with the movie’s concept – and why it’s the right film to launch the Star Wars stand-alone films.
- Jyn: The Rebel – Get to know Rogue One’s defiant, resourceful survivor, and hear what it was like for Felicity Jones to bring her to life onscreen.
- Cassian: The Spy – Diego Luna shares insights into his complex, driven character, who becomes a hero through selflessness, perseverance and passion.
- K-2SO: The Droid – Explore the development of this reprogrammed Imperial droid, from initial pitch and character design through Alan Tudyk’s performance.
- Baze & Chirrut: Guardians of the Whills – Go deeper into the relationship between these two very different characters, with Chinese superstars Jiang Wen and Donnie Yen.
- Bodhi & Saw: The Pilot & The Revolutionary – Forest Whitaker and Riz Ahmed reflect on Saw Gerrera, the broken Rebel leader, and Bodhi Rook, the Imperial pilot who defects.
- The Empire – Meet a dangerous new Imperial adversary…and cross paths once more with the most iconic villain of all time.
- Visions of Hope: The Look of Rogue One – The filmmakers describe the challenges and thrills of developing a bold new look for the movie that can fit within the world of the original trilogy.
- The Princess & The Governor – See what it took to bring the vibrant young princess of Star Wars: A New Hope – as well as one of her most memorable foes – back to the screen.
- Epilogue: The Story Continues – Filcelebrate Rogue One’s premiere and look forward into the future, to the Star Wars stories yet tommakers and cast be told.
- Rogue Connections – Uncover Easter eggs and film facts hidden throughout the movie that connect Rogue One to the Star Wars universe.
The extras also included two galleries featuring K-2S0 and the U-Wing.
This was one of my favorite releases I’ve reviewed in my entertainment room this year. A big part of that is because of the solid set of extras included with this feature.
I have now watched Rogue One: A Star Wars story several times. This is a movie that I’m finding I enjoy more each time I watch it. While I was initially a bit apprehensive about a stand alone Star Wars film, I’m completely sold now. This is a movie that will stand the test of time and be rewatched by fans through the years. It is a movie that should be in any Star Wars library. It is a movie with enough details in it that new things can be found with multiple viewings. It also is a movie that I can easily give a big tip of the hat to. I say the same with the extras included with this presentation. Definitely go out and get it.
Latest posts by Mr. DAPs (see all)
- The Walt Disney Studios Presents Upcoming Film Slate from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm at D23 Expo 2017 - June 27, 2017
- Disney Store to Unveil New Product Collections and Collectibles at D23 Expo 2017 - June 23, 2017
- Ron Howard Takes Over Directing Duties for Han Solo Movie [UPDATED] - June 22, 2017