A favorite fall activity for many is going out and picking apples from their nearest orchard. The question then becomes, what do you do with all of these apples? Today, I’m going to share with you a recipe from Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Resort that will help you use those freshly picked apples. For those of you who haven’t gone apple picking, don’t worry about it. This recipe calls for granny smith apples, which should be available at just about any grocery store or farmers market.
This is the perfect recipe for a fall evening. Give it a try and let us know how it went for you and what you think of it!
Geek Eats Disney Recipe: Warm Apple Butter Cake – Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Resort
- 2 whole Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Apple Butter Cake
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 teaspoon buttermilk
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Dried apple slices, for garnish (optional)
For caramelized apples:
- Cut apples into thin slices.
- Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat; add apples and sugar.
- Cook apples until golden and softened. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 15 (3/4-cup-capacity) ramekins; set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs and egg yolks, and melted butter in a separate large bowl, until well combined.
- Combine buttermilk and almond extract in a small bowl; set aside.
- Fold a third of flour mixture into egg mixture. Stir in half of buttermilk mixture. Fold in another third of flour mixture, then add remaining buttermilk mixture. Fold in remaining flour mixture.
- Ladle 1/2 cup cake batter into prepared ramekins. Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of cakes comes out clean.
- While cakes are warm, carefully remove from ramekins onto a serving plate.
- Divide caramelized apples among tops of cakes. Spoon Jack Daniels Glaze over top of apples and cake.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and garnish with dried apple slices, if desired.
Mr. DAPs is the founder of DAPs Magic and runs its day to day operations. He can be regularly found at Disneyland donning his hat and bow tie as he takes pictures. He is also a host on Geeks Corner - the Webshow and anchors news stories for DAPs Magic's YouTube channel. You can also find him posting regularly on Twitter and Instagram. He'd love to connect with you so make sure and say hi! You can check out his own blog at htt://www.mrdaps.com.
Latest posts by Mr. DAPs (see all)