The Disneyland Resort All-American College Band is a perennial fan favorite every summer. This band made up of college and university students from around the country represent the best of the best as they perform both jazz and marching band sets throughout the Resort. The band inspires students yearly to want to improve their craft and someday join this band. Now, that chance has come.
Disney has posted audition information for the 2017 Disneyland Resort All-American College Band. To participate one must be at least 18 years old and also a college/university student for at least one year.
Disney invites interested musicians to submit a YouTube video* for them to review. Submissions should be made before November 30, 2016. The videos should be no longer than 15 minutes in length and need to include the person auditioning’s name, current college/university, classification, and contact information (mailing address/cell phone/email address). This information and the YouTube link can be sent directly to email@example.com.
Once the video submissions have been received, some students will be invited to one of regional audition locations for a “live” audition. These locations includeBoston, New York, Tallahassee, Fairfax, Chicago, Ft. Worth, and Anaheim. Walk-ins will still be accepted at these audition locations but priority will be given to those who received invitations.
Currently, the dates for regional auditions are:
- Boston, MA: 9:00 AM – January 28, 2017
- New York, NY: 9:00 AM – January 29, 2017
- Tallahassee, FL: 9:00 AM – February 18, 2017
- Fairfax, VA: 9:00 AM – February 19, 2017
- Chicago, IL: 9:00 AM – February 25, 2017
- Ft. Worth, TX: 9:00 AM – February 26, 2017
- Anaheim, CA: 9:00 AM – March 4, 2017
Specific locations for these regional auditions will be posted on DisneyAuditions.com.
Disney looks for several characteristics for potential 2017 Disneyland Resort All-American College Band members that include: high-level musicianship, versatility, and personality.
The Disneyland Resort All-American College Band is directed by Dr. Ron McCurdy and has been entertaining guests since 1971. For eleven weeks each summer, the 21 piece band performs throughout the Disneyland Resort with their energetic jazz and marching band sets.
Here is a look at the 2016 Disneyland Resort All-American College Band:
*Here is what Disney would like to see in the audition videos:
- Prepared Selections: (Required)
Two classical excerpts
- Technical proficiency
- Lyrical ability
- Jazz Improvisation: (optional for Tuba and French Horn)
- Play transcription or Jazz Etude
- Improvisation (optional)
Suggestions: Billie’s Bounce, Now’s The Time, Oleo, There Will Never Be Another You, Moments Notice (you may use a play-a-long recording if a “live” rhythm section is not available) Three choruses of improvisation
- Jazz Soloist: (Required for the Jazz Chair)
Any tune from the jazz idiom that will demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of jazz styles and improvisation. (i.e. Nica’s Dream, There Will Never Be Another You, All the Things You Are, rhythm changes and/or Blues in F, Bb or G) Improvise at least one chorus.
- Lead Players: (Required)
Select an excerpt that will demonstrate your ability to phrase in a jazz style and play in the upper register. (i.e., shout chorus to Corner Pocket, April In Paris, etc.)
- Saxophone Doubles:
Select two excerpts; technical and lyrical; to demonstrate your ability to perform on clarinet and/or flute.
- Classical Etude (i.e., Chopin Sonata, etc.)
- Jazz Performance
- Blues, Rhythm Changes
- Latin (Montuno)
- Bass (acoustic/electric)
- Classical Acoustic bass etude (arco)
- Walk bass line on the following progressions/tunes: Blues in F, rhythm changes, All The Things You Are
- Play the head and improvise on Billie’s Bounce
- Play a “funk” bass line in the spirit of James Brown
- Demonstrate the following styles: medium swing, up-tempo swing. Bossa Nova, Samba, 12/8 Afro Cuban, Ballad w/brushes and Hip-Hop funk shuffle. Play each style for approximately 30 seconds.
- Play and sing the melody of Billie’s Bounce (distribute the rhythm/melody around the drums, ala Alan Dawson).
- Demonstrate the ability to play rhythmic patterns while marching. Stick acrobatics are welcomed and encouraged.
- Play improvised solo over drum cadence.
- Drumset performance is optional for quad players.
Latest posts by Mr. DAPs (see all)
- Sherlock Return Date Announced - October 26, 2016
- Muppet Babies Reboot Coming to Disney Junior! - October 26, 2016
- Greatest Halloween Fears – Geeks Corner – Episode 604 - October 25, 2016