A yearly summer tradition has returned to the Disneyland Resort. On Thursday June 16 Disneyland guests were introduced to the Disneyland Resort 2016 All-American College Band. This collection of college students from around the country have descended on the Disneyland Resort for 11 weeks to entertain at Disney California Adventure and Disneyland Tuesdays-Saturdays until the beginning of August.
The band began their summer of performances in Town Square on Main Street, USA for the patriotic flag retreat. For this special ceremony, they were joined by the Disneyland security honor guard and also the Dapper Dans of Disneyland. Following this, they had a set that began at Sleeping Beauty Castle before moving onto Main Street, USA. Main Street Station was next with the first day concluding with a pre-parade set.
The band this year played a collection of music that was both new and old. Much of the music was familiar to anyone who has followed the band for any amount of time. However, there were new arrangements that appeared. During the Main Street Station set the band played a Jungle Book medley and also a Star Wars medley.
On most days the Disneyland Resort 2016 All-American College Band will begin their performances at the Hollywood Backlot Stage in Disney California before spending the rest of their day at Disneyland. Here is a look at their set times:
- 3:00 – Hollywood Backlot Stage in Disney California Adventure
- 5:15 – Patriotic Flag Retreat in Disneyland
- 6:15 – Sleeping Beauty Castle and Main Street, USA in Disneyland
- 7:15 – Main Street Station in Disneyland
- 8:15 – Paint the Night Pre-Parade in Disneyland
This is the 46th year that the All-American College Band has been in existence. It is directed by Dr. Ron McCurdy who is also is professor of music in the Thornton School of Music at the University of Southern California. The band is made up of 21 college musicians from around the country. Daily they play both marching band sets and also a jazz band set at the Hollywood Backlot Stage. They also are joined by guest clinicians throughout the summer that include Wayne Bergeron, Gregg Field, John Clayton, Jiggs Whigham, and Rick Baptist.
The band includes the following:
- 4 Trumpets
- 4 Trombones
- 5 Saxophones (double on flute/clarinet/piccolo encouraged)
- 2 Tuba/Sousaphone-will play on tuba and sousaphone
- 2 Horn/Mellophone-will play on French horn and mellophone
- 4 Percussion (doubles-piano/bass players)
- 1 Drum set player for one stage set per day; performer must double on either snare, quad, or bass drum for the four show/marching sets
- 1 Acoustic/Electric Bass player for one stage set per day; performer must double on percussion or tuba for the four show/marching sets
- 1 Jazz Piano player for one stage set per day; performer must double on percussion for the four show/marching sets
- 1 Auxiliary Percussion
Here is a look at the Disneyland Resort 2016 All-American College Band:
What is your favorite piece of music played by the Disneyland Resort 2016 All-American College Band?
Latest posts by Mr. DAPs (see all)
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios to Get New Pub - July 26, 2017
- Untitled Han Solo Movie to be Scored by John Powell - July 26, 2017
- Pixar Inspired Medals Unveiled for Disneyland Half-Marathon - July 26, 2017