It’s Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort. Recently I had the opportunity to interview Chef Christina Orejel at the Disneyland Resort in Disney California Adventure about the Halloween Time treats that can be found around the resort and where to find them. I also learned how to make beignets AND did I mention I got to see how they tasted? Sometimes it’s rough to be Mr. DAPs. I also got some fun baking tips while doing this segment to share with you all. I hope they are helpful.
The treats are always a weakness for me at the Disneyland Resort and the Halloween Time Treats do NOT disappoint…. especially the beignets. If you would like to get the recipe for the Mickey Pumpkin Beignets to go with my deep fry lesson, you can get that here at Babes in Disneyland. Then you can make them at home and not go broke from eating all of them at the Disneyland Resort! But let’s be real, they will still be eaten there as well.
Chef Christina Orejel was a delight to interview and also very knowledgeable. It is always fun to meet someone who is passionate about what she does. Thank you Chef Christina for taking the time to let me interview you and to share some of your knowledge with DAPs Magic.
The following treats and locations were mentioned in this interview:
- Jack’s Coffin Cake – French Market by Haunted Mansion Holiday
- Minnie Mouse Demitasse Cup – Bakeries and Buffets throughout the Disneyland Resort
- Pumpkin Halloween Time Cupcake – Throughout the Disneyland Resort where cupcakes are sold
- Mickey Bat Cookie – Throughout the Disneyland Resort where cookies are sold
- Gingerbread Zombies – Throughout the Disneyland Resort where cookies are sold (and would love if at the exit of Haunted Mansion Holiday)
- Mickey Pumpkin Beignets – Mint Julep Bar and Cafe Orleans in New Orleans Square
Halloween Time is being celebrated at the Disneyland Resort with Mickey’s Halloween Party, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Ghost Galaxy, special activities at the Big Thunder Ranch (including Billy Hill & the Hillbillies and the conjuring of villains), and other ghoulish delights… including the food resort wide! Holidays at the Disneyland Resort are always a wonderful time to celebrate with some special treats. Do you have a favorite?
Halloween Time will continue to be celebrated at the Disneyland Resort through October 31, 2013.
Here is the recipe for the Pumpkin Beignets:
Pumpkin Beignets – New Orleans Square at Disneyland Park
Makes 25 beignets
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin extract (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon dry instant yeast
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar, for coating
Combine pumpkin purée, sugar, cream, water, eggs, shortening, pumpkin extract, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk to combine. Add flour and yeast, stirring by hand to combine.
Mix dough with the dough hook attachment until it forms a ball around the hook; the dough may be a little sticky.
With floured hands, remove dough from hook and roll into a ball. Place dough in a clean bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Roll dough on a well-floured surface to 1/3-inch thickness. Cut into 25 squares. Cover with a clean dishtowel and set aside in a warm, draft-free area for 45 minutes.
Line a plate with paper towels; set aside.
Pour vegetable oil into a deep pot to a depth of 3 inches. Heat oil to 350°F.
Working in 2 or 3 batches, carefully drop dough into oil. Cook, turning frequently with a long-handled slotted spoon, until puffed and golden, about 3 minutes.
Remove beignets with a slotted spoon and transfer to the plate lined with paper towels. Lightly tent with foil to keep warm while remaining beignets cook.
Generously sprinkle powdered sugar on top of warm beignets; serve warm.
Latest posts by Mr. DAPs (see all)
- Disney Store to Unveil New Product Collections and Collectibles at D23 Expo 2017 - June 23, 2017
- Ron Howard Takes Over Directing Duties for Han Solo Movie [UPDATED] - June 22, 2017
- Disneyland Summer Fun – Geeks Corner – Episode 638 - June 20, 2017