The Disneyland Resort is known for the characters that live there, the adventures guests can experience through its many attractions and shows, and of course for the food! From churros at a vending cart, to the corndog truck, to something perhaps a bit more decadent like the Napa Rose; Disneyland has a lot to offer when it comes to food.
Whatever your food of choice is, there is a lot more behind what you eat than you may originally have realized. Here are a few fun food facts from the Disneyland Resort:
- Award winners . . . Both Napa Rose and Steakhouse 55 won the 2010 Golden Bacchus Wine Award, the highest honor awarded by the Southern California Restaurant Writers Association for exceptional wine cellars. In addition, each restaurant received a coveted Five Star rating and Golden Scepter Award for outstanding culinary achievement.
- Healthy options . . . Fifty-five percent of all kids entrees at our table-service restaurants are healthy-option choices.
- Hot diggity dog . . . Refreshment Corner, better known as Coke Corner on Main Street, U.S.A., in Disneyland Park sells enough hot dogs in one year to circle Disneyland Park 36 times.
- Drink up . . . Blue Ribbon Bakery on Main Street, U.S.A., in Disneyland Park sells enough coffee in one month to fill all the teacups in Fantasyland’s Mad Tea Party attraction.
- A mountain of sweets . . . Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, U.S.A., in Disneyland Park sells enough ice cream in one year to build a full-size replica of the park’s Matterhorn mountain.
- And more sweets . . . The new Disneyland Resort Central Bakery produces more than 3,000 celebration cakes per year for birthdays, anniversaries and other special celebrations. The bakery also creates nearly 250 wedding cakes a year.
- How many bottles? . . . Napa Rose at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa offers a selection of 80 wines by the glass from an award-winning list of more than 450 international wines (80 percent Californian) and a 16,000-bottle wine cellar.
- Martial arts chef . . . Jason Martin, the chef de cuisine at Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel, practices several forms of martial arts. He says it makes him more agile and graceful in a busy kitchen.
- Royal Street Veranda . . . Check out the wrought-iron balustrade above the Royal Street Veranda restaurant in New Orleans Square in Disneyland Park. The initials at the center are those of brothers Roy and Walt Disney. The balcony belonged to an apartment being constructed for Walt before he died (now the Disneyland Dream Suite).
- “Oscar’s Choice” . . . There’s just one dish named after a Resort cast member, and it’s “Oscar’s Choice” at Carnation Cafe on Main Street, U.S.A, in Disneyland Park. Oscar was hired at Disneyland in 1956 and has been on the team at Carnation Cafe since 1967. He has more years of continuous service than any other cast member at Disneyland Resort. The breakfast creation is scrambled eggs with melted cheddar cheese, potatoes, bacon or sausage, a croissant and fresh fruit.
- The most wedding proposals . . . Blue Bayou restaurant in New Orleans Square competes for this honor with the Wishing Well in the park’s Fantasyland.
- That’s a lot of chowda . . . Guests consume 14,000 bowls a year of the signature Charred Nebraska Corn Chowder at Storyteller’s Cafe at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa.
- Not your classic Caesar . . . On the menu at Rancho del Zocalo, located in Frontierland at Disneyland Park, is Hacienda Chicken Caesar Salad. The Caesar is Mexican in origin, not Italian, says Disneyland Chef Jesse Tiscareno. It originated at the Caesar’s Palace Hotel on Revolution Avenue in Tijuana.
- Pop-pop-pop . . . If we stacked every kernel of popcorn popped in Disney California Adventure park every two days, it would reach 200 feet high – as tall as the tallest fountain in the “World of Color” show.
- Get your Cotton Candy here! . . . Disney California Adventure spins enough cotton candy in one year to blanket the entire Paradise Pier Lagoon
Latest posts by Mr. DAPs (see all)
- Disney Store to Unveil New Product Collections and Collectibles at D23 Expo 2017 - June 23, 2017
- Ron Howard Takes Over Directing Duties for Han Solo Movie [UPDATED] - June 22, 2017
- Disneyland Summer Fun – Geeks Corner – Episode 638 - June 20, 2017